Microsoft Word/Open Office

Rockytime

I know "Word King Kevin" uses Microsoft Office for most of his great word art. I however, do not have that but use Open Office. Does anyone here use it? I have lots of fonts but I have no idea how to kern characters unless I just print them, cut them out and paste them which I can do especially if characters are not to be evenly aligned. But lots of times kerning is easiest.

I just googled and found this. This is for Open Office. 

If you need kerning only for selected parts of your text, follow these steps:
  1. Highlight the passages of your text for which kerning needs to be enabled.
  2. Select Format > Character.
  3. Select the Position tab. In the "Spacing" section, check the check box Pair kerning.

For Word, do the same except go to the Format/Font/character Spacing............

Edited by octoolguy

12 hours ago, Phantom Scroller said:

I use inkscape which is free or sometimes Photoshop. Roly

Hi, I just opened Inkscape and it seems that there will be a tremendous learning curve involved. Can you offer any advice to a new user? I can see that it is a very involved program with a ton of options. What do you suggest?

Ray

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Hi, I just opened Inkscape and it seems that there will be a tremendous learning curve involved. Can you offer any advice to a new user? I can see that it is a very involved program with a ton of options. What do you suggest?

Ray

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/articles/pattern-making/inkscape/

Good luck. :oops:

Edited by Scrappile

15 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I just googled and found this. This is for Open Office. 

If you need kerning only for selected parts of your text, follow these steps:
  1. Highlight the passages of your text for which kerning needs to be enabled.
  2. Select Format > Character.
  3. Select the Position tab. In the "Spacing" section, check the check box Pair kerning.

For Word, do the same except go to the Format/Font/character Spacing............

I  found the same thing but could not get it to work for dome reason.

7 hours ago, GrampaJim said:

I have used Open Office for years, but also use Inkscape for patterns.  Why pay hundreds of $$$ for an office software that there is a free alternative to?  

As the Mac and Linux people say "friends don't let friends buy Microsoft."  :):lol:

I also use office because I won't pay for Microsoft Word. I have Inkscape down loases but it looks intimidating.

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

I looked at the Inkscape list of SSV courses. I did not see lesson 1. Are those tutorials still available? I guess I did not understand what I was reading. I think it is all dated 2009 or 2010. I have Inkscape downloaded but don't know what to do with. Migh be easier to pay someone to make names. Guess I'm just old and lazy, looking for a simple way. However, I would make an attempt to learn Inkscape if the tutorial still exists.

I find Inkscape and Gimp both very intimidating.  And now that I have a Mac.. It is a little different. But lots of people have it figured out and do very good with both.  I get bored trying to learn either very quickly.  Heppnerguy tried to show me once.  352 steps later he says "see how easy that is".  I was laying on the floor with my eyes rolled back in my head.  Then he moved!.. I mean like left the state and went to Arizona.. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

I find Inkscape and Gimp both very intimidating.  And now that I have a Mac.. It is a little different. But lots of people have it figured out and do very good with both.  I get bored trying to learn either very quickly.  Heppnerguy tried to show me once.  352 steps later he says "see how easy that is".  I was laying on the floor with my eyes rolled back in my head.  Then he moved!.. I mean like left the state and went to Arizona.. :lol:

I knew there was a reason why Dick wanted to leave - now I know.......LOL:lol:

49 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I looked at the Inkscape list of SSV courses. I did not see lesson 1. Are those tutorials still available? I guess I did not understand what I was reading. I think it is all dated 2009 or 2010. I have Inkscape downloaded but don't know what to do with. Migh be easier to pay someone to make names. Guess I'm just old and lazy, looking for a simple way. However, I would make an attempt to learn Inkscape if the tutorial still exists.

Hi Les:

Please check your PM messages

Fab4

3 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I  found the same thing but could not get it to work for dome reason.

I played around with it and got it to move the letters apart. Is that what you are trying to do? You want to change the spacing between the letters? There are boxes there that you have to change the settings. 

I'm also now watching the tutorials that Travis has put up on Inkscape. I think that is going to be the way to go. Lot's to learn but it's just a bit of fiddling. Give it a try.

Ray

4 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I think the best way to learn Inkscape is with two computers, one to view the tutorials and another to do the exercises while watching. My wife won't let me have her laptop and my tablet is too small to be of use. Life sure isn't fair. BooHoo!

I'm a computer junkie. I have a desktop and two laptops on my desk and another pc in my shop. You are right about learning the program though. It will be easier if I open up two or three computers all at the same time. I'll give that a try tomorrow. It's supposed to rain so it would be a great day to learn the program.

Ray

1 hour ago, zimmerstutzen said:

Some how I ended up with open office on my computer.  I hate it.  Makes letters and everything more difficult.  Envelopes especially  Worse< I have absolutely no idea how it got on the computer.  I already have word.        

Hi Perry

Open Office is no different than all the other programs

There is a learning curve and once you straighten out that curve, it's actually fun

Everyone has their favorite program(s), you  choose one, learn it and go from there

The BEST PART of all this is no matter what program you choose if you're stuck on something

there is always a Villager or two, or three, or four who are willing to help out

All we have to do is ask

Fab4