Picking Up My New Toy ( Saw ) Tonight

kmmcrafts

Seen this saw on craiglist last night.. been talking to the guy and it looks as though we have made a deal... Just in case he takes this down.. its a new in sealed box EX-21 for $360.. Now.. if anyone local on here might be interested in a Hawk or Two :) let me know.. I don't need all these saws.. and it's time I unload some.. Hate to send my 226 ultra down the road but.. I have run a EX on a test run years ago and it cut just like my DeWalt does.. maybe a little smoother... been a while.. anyway I feel the EX will be able to cut as aggressive and work much like my 788 does.. My Hawks are both awesome working saws.. they just don't cut as fast as my 788.. and I'm thinkin I'll like/use the EX more than that of the Hawks.. 

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/d/new-excalibur-120-volt-21-in/6376740275.html  

Ken Don't get me wrong I love my Hegner I would never sell it .But The Excalibur seems so natural to use.Everything is right at your finger tips.And by adjusting the motor on its pivot you could have all of the aggresive cutting you will need .You may not look at the other saws anymore.i bought another EX18 new in the box a little while ago.Don't know why it is still in the box. It was a good price .But not as good a price as yours. I would not let that go either Regardless of how many saws I have

59 minutes ago, tonylumps said:

Ken Don't get me wrong I love my Hegner I would never sell it .But The Excalibur seems so natural to use.Everything is right at your finger tips.And by adjusting the motor on its pivot you could have all of the aggresive cutting you will need .You may not look at the other saws anymore.i bought another EX18 new in the box a little while ago.Don't know why it is still in the box. It was a good price .But not as good a price as yours. I would not let that go either Regardless of how many saws I have

I actually hope to keep my Hawk 226 Ultra but hope to sell the Hawk 220VS.. I don't need both Hawks and have rarely used the 220 since I bought the 226..

As for the Excalibur.. Yeah I've been wanting one ever since I tried the one years ago.. just haven't found the right deal at a time that I actually have any cash :)  I'm hoping I like it as much as I did years ago when I tried one.. mind you.. I only did a couple test cuts so.. once I "really" try it.. never know.. maybe I'll end up keeping the Hawks and selling the Excalibur, LOL 

10 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I actually hope to keep my Hawk 226 Ultra but hope to sell the Hawk 220VS.. I don't need both Hawks and have rarely used the 220 since I bought the 226..

As for the Excalibur.. Yeah I've been wanting one ever since I tried the one years ago.. just haven't found the right deal at a time that I actually have any cash :)  I'm hoping I like it as much as I did years ago when I tried one.. mind you.. I only did a couple test cuts so.. once I "really" try it.. never know.. maybe I'll end up keeping the Hawks and selling the Excalibur, LOL 

Yes you will get twice what you paid for it.But I don,t think you will sell it

Edited by tonylumps

I just got back home with it.. Yes.. I opened the box before paying.. and told the guy about my friends deal with his $70 brick, LOL.. came with foot switch etc. but no stand.. I feel I got ripped off now.. :)  I have a couple stands I picked up at garage sales a year or so ago.. guy had several of them at $2ea.. and I bought all 6 of them.. just not sure the saw will fit on them... that saw looked huge in the box.. I had to take a double take on it to be sure it wasn't a EX30..

So.. The guy I bought it from says his dad claims that Home Depot is going to start selling these.. I told him that they don't make the saw anymore and he said yeah he knew that.. but they are supposed to start making them again and having them on Home Depot's web site.. Must be his dad works on the H.D. web site or something by the way this guy was talking.. Seem like he knew what he was taking about..

Congrats on your new toy.  I was a little tickled to hear you talk about getting a little more aggressiveness with your saw.  Because of the nature of my much of my work,  I'm always trying to keep mine tuned to minimal travel.

That said, you can turn the motor on the EX and get a very very aggressive cut, probably more than practical.  Since you can now tweak that to the extreme, it will be interesting to see where you land on your aggressiveness settings.

Keep a backup saw, no saw is bulletproof (coming from the guy with 5 saws)

----Randy

Edited by hotshot

Kev, congrats on such a nice new purchase, you almost stole the thing. I own one, I've had it for about seven years or more. It's never given me a problem, it sure is a pleasure to use. If I were you, I'd try the saw with the motor situated as it is. See how it works like that, before you change a thing. And then, if you do decide to twist the motor in one direction or another, mark on the saw where the original position of the motor was first. 

Len

Well this time I'm going to take some pictures of the saw boxed and un-boxing.. When I bought my Hawk 226 Ultra back in May I was soo excited to put it together I didn't take any photos to prove that it was brand new in the box when I bought it.. 

Funny thing is I was planning to buy one of the new named Ex's ( King ) from woodcraft after the holidays.. I maybe would have already bought one.. but I was waiting for them to get the 21" one in stock.. which never happened. I usually keep an eye on Craigslist and other sites for a steal of a deal.. but for the last month I had not done so.. Then my son was looking to buy something and I got on craigslist to help him look and there was the EX.. just posted within the hour.. 

I'm thinking as busy as I've gotten since the first of this month.. I doubt I'm going to get time to get it set up.. I am working on 7 different custom orders.. plus have already sold out on several ornaments.. I normally am not this busy until after Thanksgiving.. going to be an interesting year..

Thanks everyone for the comments and tips.. gotta get out to the shop to work now..I might fire me if I'm late to work again :) gave myself a verbal warning yesterday Hahaha..   

On 11/7/2017 at 10:41 AM, kmmcrafts said:

Seen this saw on craiglist last night.. been talking to the guy and it looks as though we have made a deal... Just in case he takes this down.. its a new in sealed box EX-21 for $360.. Now.. if anyone local on here might be interested in a Hawk or Two :) let me know.. I don't need all these saws.. and it's time I unload some.. Hate to send my 226 ultra down the road but.. I have run a EX on a test run years ago and it cut just like my DeWalt does.. maybe a little smoother... been a while.. anyway I feel the EX will be able to cut as aggressive and work much like my 788 does.. My Hawks are both awesome working saws.. they just don't cut as fast as my 788.. and I'm thinkin I'll like/use the EX more than that of the Hawks.. 

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/d/new-excalibur-120-volt-21-in/6376740275.html  

I found a dw788 for $80.00-$100-$150,on up .I needed the motor out of the $80 one.Saved $325.00