Olson 5" scroll saw sanding strips...

badpappy

Hello all,

Was doing some scrolling today and finished my piece.  Next was to sand it.  I just got my Olson 1/4"- 5" sanding strips yesterday and thought I'd give them a try.  Wrong!

They don't fit in my pinless saw clamps.  Now, I can't be the first one to think of this, but I put it in a jewelers saw and it works like a charm. See photo.

It seems to me that one could use worn out sanding belts, and make them any width to meet the need.  The grit on the belt would hold real good to the clamps.  

Take Care

bp

DSCN0279.JPG

43 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Have any of you folks made your own sanding mops? I saw a video on how to do it and it seems pretty easy.

Ray

43 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Have any of you folks made your own sanding mops? I saw a video on how to do it and it seems pretty easy.

Ray

Just watched a video on DIY sanding mops... I'll have to try that some day.

Sanding mops are very easy to make. There are a few good YouTube videos on it. I use my dull scroll saw blades to cut the sandpaper. Also, I have made the scotchbrite sanding balls that you can find at Rockler or Woodcraft. These are even easier and quicker to make. Even less expensive then making sanding mops. Different colored scotchbrite pads = different "grit". 

21 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Sanding mops are very easy to make. There are a few good YouTube videos on it. I use my dull scroll saw blades to cut the sandpaper. Also, I have made the scotchbrite sanding balls that you can find at Rockler or Woodcraft. These are even easier and quicker to make. Even less expensive then making sanding mops. Different colored scotchbrite pads = different "grit". 

Ok, I'll bite. How do you make sanding balls. I just went to the Woodcraft site and found the ScotchBrite balls but I don't see how they are made from that one picture. Can you please explain how you do it?

Edited by octoolguy

8 hours ago, badpappy said:

Hello all,

Was doing some scrolling today and finished my piece.  Next was to sand it.  I just got my Olson 1/4"- 5" sanding strips yesterday and thought I'd give them a try.  Wrong!

They don't fit in my pinless saw clamps.  Now, I can't be the first one to think of this, but I put it in a jewelers saw and it works like a charm. See photo.

It seems to me that one could use worn out sanding belts, and make them any width to meet the need.  The grit on the belt would hold real good to the clamps.  

Take Care

bp

DSCN0279.JPG

What a genius to think of using a sanding belt strip,Perfect storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On December 3, 2017 at 8:47 PM, octoolguy said:

Ok, I'll bite. How do you make sanding balls. I just went to the Woodcraft site and found the ScotchBrite balls but I don't see how they are made from that one picture. Can you please explain how you do it?

I make them similar to a sanding mop. I cut the pads into small, medium, and large circles. Drill a 1/4 hole through center of each one.  Put a nut and fender washer on a piece of threaded rod. Assemble scotchbrite circles on to rod forming a "ball". Add another fence washer and nut there ya have a sanding ball. I use the white scotchbrite. These are easier and quicker to make than a sanding mop. 

Come to think of it, heck, cut the scotchbrite into squares.  Take a scissors and cut 1/2" deep every 1/4" or so. This would be even quicker and no waste!  I'm going to give that a try!!!

Hope that helps 

16 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I make them similar to a sanding mop. I cut the pads into small, medium, and large circles. Drill a 1/4 hole through center of each one.  Put a nut and fender washer on a piece of threaded rod. Assemble scotchbrite circles on to rod forming a "ball". Add another fence washer and nut there ya have a sanding ball. I use the white scotchbrite. These are easier and quicker to make than a sanding mop. 

Come to think of it, heck, cut the scotchbrite into squares.  Take a scissors and cut 1/2" deep every 1/4" or so. This would be even quicker and no waste!  I'm going to give that a try!!!

Hope that helps 

Thanks Gonzo, I did find a youtube video on making small ones for a Dremel but I can see now what you are talking about. I had never seen one before so it was hard to imagine a "ball" in my mind's eye. I'm going to make one of each grit if I can find the ScotchBrite pads. I've never seen anything except the green ones.

Ray

BP, that was a good idea, but you couldn't get away with making them any width you wanted. They wouldn't work, the only way they will work properly, is if the ends are supported so that the sanding strip can't roll over. If you make them any wider then the end supports, then can bend around past the blade clamp.

Len

12 hours ago, Lucky2 said:

BP, that was a good idea, but you couldn't get away with making them any width you wanted. They wouldn't work, the only way they will work properly, is if the ends are supported so that the sanding strip can't roll over. If you make them any wider then the end supports, then can bend around past the blade clamp.

Len

Hello Lucky2,  I'm not quite understanding what you are saying.  I have enclosed some photos.  All the sanding strips were used on the wood in the photo. I had no problems, unless you mean like 3/4" wide strips or larger.

Let me know if this is what you mean...

Thanks

bp

DSCN0282.JPG

DSCN0281.JPG

DSCN0280.JPG