Bought a glue roller today

crupiea

Gluing my pieces has been a thorn in my side for years.  i was watching a youtube video about working with veneers and they guy recommended a glue roller.  Man where has this been all this time?  Great little tool. Put a smile on my face for sure!!

download (1).jpe

Edited by crupiea

I've had one for years too. I've found it useful on some larger projects, but by and large I think the need to clean the roller and the bottle outweigh the benefits. I tend to use my store bought Titebond bond bottle and the plastic spreader that those you repair dings in cars with Bondo use. I suppose if you use it often enough you can just clean the roller and cap the bottle?

On the same subject and I hope this doesn't steal your thread - I often use a silicon basting brush (from the dollar store)  to spread glue (I used to use acid brushes and toss them after use). The silicon cleans up great. It even cleans great if the glue dries - you can pull the dried glue off the brush. The idea came from The Woodworking for Mere Mortals website.   

Nice idea.  Thanks for the posting.  I lay down a sheet of wax paper & squeeze rows of glue on it.  Trowel it with a credit card.  Drop the cut fretwork onto the paper, pick up the wood, rotate it slightly & drop it on the glue a 2nd time.  Rarely have squeeze out.  Throw away the wax paper and wipe the credit card with a paper towel.

Just a different path to the same destination.

3 hours ago, jerry1939 said:

Nice idea.  Thanks for the posting.  I lay down a sheet of wax paper & squeeze rows of glue on it.  Trowel it with a credit card.  Drop the cut fretwork onto the paper, pick up the wood, rotate it slightly & drop it on the glue a 2nd time.  Rarely have squeeze out.  Throw away the wax paper and wipe the credit card with a paper towel.

Just a different path to the same destination.

That's an interesting idea Jerry.  I have always applied glue with a small brush but it can be difficult to cover everywhere before the glue starts to dry.  I will have to try your method.  Thanks for sharing. 

Rob

I learned a simple trick from the late Dirk Boelman.  He took a 1" trim roller and replaced the roller with a piece of foam pipe insulation .  I squeeze out some wood glue on a piece of wax paper roll it out with the trim roller and then apply to my work pieces.

The most important thing you want to do is apply a coat of glue on the entire surface you are gluing.