Advanced Overcutting or "Floating" Technique.

hotshot

I've been getting pinged by various folks looking at trying their hands at coin cutting.  I thought I would take a minute and give a quick "Secrets" type post.  In this case, I want to show a technique that makes it look like your piece has floaters, while in truth, the supports are hidden.  Let me show you:

I want to draw attention to the section circled below:

2.jpg.f5ae3cea0559a0ad29c324a29a8c140c.jpg

In the unobstructed image below, it look like that piece is "Floating" with no supports.  This technique is common amongst the better coin cutters.

1.jpg.1fd1a9af91cf78fbf442083ff16bdc96.jpg

So what is going on?  The surface material over the supports has been cut away, hiding the supports further below the surface.  If you look carefully, you can see the supports buried down underneath.

3.jpg.7318c3d285ff216855cfa0d9844c0ad7.jpg

So, how is the surface cut away? Believe it or not, it is possible to cut while holding one edge of the coin up at an angle.  If you cut from both sides, you will be left with a wedge as your support, but no surface material.  This does weaken the support, so I have to be careful not to remove too much.

4.jpg.a7bc21388f99c67b1c59176247ce2d9b.jpg

Does this look a little awkward?  It is a little, but the hard part is seeing what I am cutting with the coin angled up away from me.  I have to lean way forward.  In the past, I have also turned the blade around backwards so  I can cut with the face of the coin facing me.

Well, I wanted to show you something different, I hope I did :-)

-----Randy 

Edited by hotshot

1 hour ago, hotshot said:

I've been getting pinged by various folks looking at trying their hands at coin cutting.  I thought I would take a minute and give a quick "Secrets" type post.  In this case, I want to show a technique that makes it look like your piece has floaters, while in truth, the supports are hidden.  Let me show you:

In the unobstructed image below, it look like that piece is "Floating" with no supports.  This technique is common amongst the better coin cutters.

So what is going on?  The surface material over the supports has been cut away, hiding the supports further below the surface.  If you look carefully, you can see the supports buried down underneath.

So, how is the surface cut away? Believe it or not, it is possible to cut while holding one edge of the coin up at an angle.  If you cut from both sides, you will be left with a wedge as your support, but no surface material.  This does weaken the support, so I have to be careful not to remove too much.

Does this look a little awkward?  It is a little, but the hard part is seeing what I am cutting with the coin angled up away from me.  I have to lean way forward.  In the past, I have also turned the blade around backwards so  I can cut with the face of the coin facing me.

-----Randy 

I'm curious Randy. What cutting speed do you use?

Ray

On 12/26/2017 at 5:35 PM, hotshot said:

-----Randy 

Yes you certainly let the cat out of the bag,Thanks!!!!!!!!!!