12 Inch Diameter Maple/Cherry Bowl

susieq4131

Thanks Doug,

I took maple & cherry wood strips and cut them all to 1 1/2 inches high. Glued them all up like a cutting board and ran it through my planer until it was 28mm thick. My bowl circles for each ring were 18mm wide. Cut this bowl at 33 degrees. Glued up the rings with Weldbond which dries clear and sets up quickly. Once bowl layers were dry, sanded interior of bowl with tilting spindle sander. Once interior was sanded, glued on bottom of bowl. Once dry, sanded exterior with tilting spindle sander. Finished sanding bowl edge with mouse sander. Did final sanding from 120 grit through 600 grit with mouse sander. Finish is 3 coats of 100% tung oil. Buffed finish with 100% cotton buffing wheel.

SQ

Travis,

Appears my post has been moved. Was that your handy work? :) I'm flattered. I think it would be great if we had a bowl category. Think that's possible? Thank you for the nice comments and for viewing. There is nothing more fun than making a bowl. I usually make these bowls in 12 inch, 13 1/2 inch, and 15 inches in diameter. Have even made one 18 inches in diameter.

SQ