Can any of you Hegner guys tell me about this saw?

OCtoolguy

4 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Really happy for you, Ray.  I think after some getting use to it, you will love the saw.  I sure do mine.  Also a beautiful trip you went on,  I have done it a couple time, the only way it can get more beautiful is to continue on up through the Oregon coast. Washington coast is beautiful but you don't get to see much of it from the highway.

I love the Oregon and Washington coast line too but the access to the beach is not as easy as it is here. Most of our beaches are very accessible after you get over the outrageous cost of parking. Another one of my b*****s. Oh well, the price of success I suppose.

Ray

53 minutes ago, rjweb said:

Nice view you should move that new hegner saw out there when you cutting, RJ 

I would have to win a huge lottery to be able to afford anything close enough to this spot. Multi-million dollar homes. They do let us peons come an drool though. At least I live close by. I'm about a mile in from the ocean. I can't see it but I can smell it.

Ray

There is going to be a learning curve with this saw. I can already see that. And, I seem to be missing the wrench for tighting the square screws that clamp the blades. I ordered a Tuffwrench but for now I guess I have to use a small Crescent wrench. And, after doing some reading on the website, I now understand why have a bunch blade holders. I see that they have different width slots. That's new and different. The saw came with a large blade, I figure it's a 9 or so. After I cleaned up things I tried running it with that blade but for some reason, after running it a bit, the blade pops out and the arm flies up. I am hoping I can get an owners manual for the saw so I understand what I'm doing. Maybe some of Hegner owners can fill me in on any of the oddities that this saw seems to have. I don't want to do anything that  might result in injury to either me or the saw. HELP!

Ray

Ray, darn after going back and looking at the pictures, I don't see the wrench,  I bet he has it somewhere.  I'd email him and ask, he may have it somewhere and he should send it to you.   Then you will have a spare...

Yes there are different blade holders and they are not marked as to size, but I have been told and I believe it, the mid one, I think the .07mm will take care of them all.  Could be wrong, but the quick clamp handles all sizes so one of the other clamps should.  If I ever buy more of those clamps I will etch the size on it with one of those vibrator tools.  Mine cane with two sets but I no longer know what ones are witch. Also, I think the owners manual is down loadable from Advance Machinery.  Read the part about the upper clamp.  It should be slightly floating in its holder, it should not be in there tight.  That was the mistake I made when I first got mine.

3 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Ray, darn after going back and looking at the pictures, I don't see the wrench,  I bet he has it somewhere.  I'd email him and ask, he may have it somewhere and he should send it to you.   Then you will have a spare...

Yes there are different blade holders and they are not marked as to size, but I have been told and I believe it, the mid one, I think the .07mm will take care of them all.  Could be wrong, but the quick clamp handles all sizes so one of the other clamps should.  If I ever buy more of those clamps I will etch the size on it with one of those vibrator tools.  Mine cane with two sets but I no longer know what ones are witch. Also, I think the owners manual is down loadable from Advance Machinery.  Read the part about the upper clamp.  It should be slightly floating in its holder, it should not be in there tight.  That was the mistake I made when I first got mine.

Well, the saw belonged to a fellow who passed away and his nephew inherited it. He knows nothing about the saw. I did ask him about a cover and the owner's manual but he said they didn't come with it when he got it. I didn't know there was supposed to be a wrench. I did get a blade holder carousel that the owner had made that has a lot of spare blades in it along with the extra blade holders. I read on the website about the different sizes of holders and it said that the slots are visible to the eye as to which one is wider or narrower and that they mid size one started being marked with a divot let than 20 years ago. Since my saw is more than that old, I guess it's not going to be marked. I'm going to do the same thing as you with an engraver. As to the top blade holder being a "floater", I think that may be the problem. I noticed that the clamp screw with the spring under it is all the way down to where that blade holder can't float. I'll take care of that and see what happens. In messing with the blade and the holders, I noticed that a 5 inch blade doesn't really have any room to spare in length. It just barely reaches both clamps. Or else I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for all your help. I'll probably be picking your brain as well as the other Hegner owners.

Ray

Ray, on the what appears to be a "short blade", " 5 inch blade doesn't really have any room to spare in length."  make sure your tension lever on the upper arm is forward,,,, don't worry how I know this....   if that is the case, it is in the forward position,  just unscrew the tension knob in the back until you have the room you need.  Those are the only two things that can impact that, well unless you blade is broke and not 5",,, don't worry how I know this...

"I read on the website about the different sizes of holders and it said that the slots are visible to the eye as to which one is wider or narrower and that they mid size one started being marked with a divot let than 20 years ago."  WHAT! That is news to me.  I have to go look at the holders again.  The width of the slot is not visible to this guys old eyes.  I have never notices a "divot", humm, I have to check this out.

49 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Ray, on the what appears to be a "short blade", " 5 inch blade doesn't really have any room to spare in length."  make sure your tension lever on the upper arm is forward,,,, don't worry how I know this....   if that is the case, it is in the forward position,  just unscrew the tension knob in the back until you have the room you need.  Those are the only two things that can impact that, well unless you blade is broke and not 5",,, don't worry how I know this...

"I read on the website about the different sizes of holders and it said that the slots are visible to the eye as to which one is wider or narrower and that they mid size one started being marked with a divot let than 20 years ago."  WHAT! That is news to me.  I have to go look at the holders again.  The width of the slot is not visible to this guys old eyes.  I have never notices a "divot", humm, I have to check this out.

I just realize that the "divot" is on the top of the blade holder directly underneath the screw that holds the blade holder in. I thought it was worn that way from having the screw down too tight. Then it came to me that Advanced mentioned that it was a "divot" and that would make sense. I have a total of 5 blade holders. I assume that the ones with the square screw are the lower ones. I have one extra square screw and the four pointed plastic knob. I'm starting to make sense of what I have. I made a couple of adjustments and now the blade stays put and doesn't fly out. I actually did some cutting with it. I will now attempt to understand the tensioning so I can not break blades. But, I have lot's to practice with. I understand now why I thought the blades might be too short. NOT! Anyway, it will be fun to figure it all out. Thanks again and keep it coming.

Ray

Ha!  And I thought I knew something, but you taught me, Ray.  Went and read about the clamps, never read to the last paragraph before:

"How do you easily identify which clamp is which?  Small and large slot clamps both have a smooth top, but are easy to differentiate since the large slot is twice the size of the small one.  The medium slot clamp has a dimple in its top so you can easily tell it apart from the others.  Also, all separately ordered clamp pairs are supplied in individual bags identifying their size."

Never even notices the dimple before

clamps.jpg

In reading the manual, it says to tighten the large black knob on top and then back it off one half turn. By golly, there is a lot to be said for reading the instructions. Something that most men do not do often. I must be the exception because I read everything. That's because many years ago, before I was married, my buddy and I set out to assemble a combination swing/slide set for the two sons of a lady I was dating. It was for Christmas. Anyway, he and I got to drinking beer and we got the darned thing almost all put together when we notice that the holes along the top rail were not centered along the rail. They were supposed to be on the lower side of the rail and we had them on the upper side. Partly because we hadn't read the instructions and partly because we had consumed waaaaay too much beer. Long story short, we had to disassemble the entire thing and start over. We ran out of beer but we got it together. NOW, I read all paper work. Ha! Sorry for the diatribe.

Ray

For anybody who might have seen this post before I deleted it and rewrote it, please disregard it. I am more than embarrassed. I was trying to figure out why the blades wouldn't stay in the blade holders and it was like the blades were too short. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I didn't have the tension adjustment loose enough to allow the upper arm to go down further and allow me to catch more of the blade. Stupid!! Oh well, I never said I was bright.

Ray

Edited by octoolguy