Who's you favorite designer ?

WayneMahler

Working in the shop today I was cutting patterns from a couple different designers. One from Marilyn Carmin. Sue Mey, Sheila and Keith and another from Carl Taylor. I enjoy all these people's designs and it got me wondering who my favorite was which lead to others as well. For me it would be a toss up between Mike Fehring, Marilyn Carmin and Charles Dearing. All do very detailed designs. When I first started typing this in many more pop into my head that I really enjoy too. So who is yours ?

Hmm I guess I don't know who Marilyn Carmin is or Carl Taylor... Heard of Mike Fehring.. Charles Dearing does some awesome work.. however most of it is portrait style cutting.. which I don't do a lot of ( Yet.. I plan to do more of it this year ).. 

So.. since i don't know a whole lot of these designers.. I have to say.. I've purchased more patterns from Sue Mey than any of the others.. so I guess for now she would be my favorite..  Some favorites that I don't see any more is.. Dave Hall,  loved his car themed portraits.. Kevin Daily used to make some nice's ones too.. but again.. these two mostly cranked out portraits.. One I used to really like was Sylvia ( The Sawdust Mistress ).. but she left the pattern / scrollsaw world when hubby retired and they bought a motor home to travel the world..that's been some years ago. LOL

I use a few of arpops patterns from his blog.. not sure how many of these I mention actually did this to sell patterns or had their patterns in books.. 

Maybe we need to list a bunch of designers.. I thought I knew most of them. but I've never heard of a few of these you mentioned.. 

Now you got me thinking :) 

Oh yeah, Andy Dean did awesome car patterns too..

Something I'd like to see more of.. is wall type clocks.. I have about a 110 different desk clocks I offer.. with many more patterns that I haven't yet made.. yet I only have about 20 wall clocks.. so if any designers out there feel like making clock patterns... Have at it.. I'm on the lookout for them, LOL Like to have about 50-75 different designs to add to my site before next holiday season..   

When I started this some 35 years ago the best designer that I followed and used soooooo many of his patterns and still do today was Rick Longabough and his wife Karen from the Berry Basket fame. The next would be Dan and Ray Wilckens designs and again still use many of their patterns and always loved their style. Next would be Karen and Dirk Boelman of the Art Factory. We lost 2 of the greatest pattern makers in Dirk and Ray over the years. Last would be John Nelson. I always liked his work and had the pleasure of working with him on a few projects. 

I have many patterns in my possession from various artists and some have been mentioned already but the top ones are my list.  

6 hours ago, WayneMahler said:

Working in the shop today I was cutting patterns from a couple different designers. One from Marilyn Carmin. Sue Mey, Sheila and Keith and another from Carl Taylor. I enjoy all these people's designs and it got me wondering who my favorite was which lead to others as well. For me it would be a toss up between Mike Fehring, Marilyn Carmin and Charles Dearing. All do very detailed designs. When I first started typing this in many more pop into my head that I really enjoy too. So who is yours ?

I feel bad telling new members that our pattern making members will make patterns for them,I apologize for volunteering work and a lot of work for them. I'll try to refrain from it in the future

9 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

When I started this some 35 years ago the best designer that I followed and used soooooo many of his patterns and still do today was Rick Longabough and his wife Karen from the Berry Basket fame. The next would be Dan and Ray Wilckens designs and again still use many of their patterns and always loved their style. Next would be Karen and Dirk Boelman of the Art Factory. We lost 2 of the greatest pattern makers in Dirk and Ray over the years. Last would be John Nelson. I always liked his work and had the pleasure of working with him on a few projects. 

I have many patterns in my possession from various artists and some have been mentioned already but the top ones are my list.  

I don’t know how i forgot about these designers. I use many of their patterns. 

Also  would say all of them from here, but I was thinking of the ones with their own websites etc. maybe some of them do?  If so I don’t know about it and they should put it in their signature:) 

I want to apologize to the designers here. When I posted this my mind sat was on PAID patterns. Although the one I was cutting from Karl Taylor was free. I totally respect and appreciate those that take the tie and efforts to help the other villagers and share their skills here. So with said I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes. I assure you it was not intentional. Please accept this apology. 

I really don't have a favourite and I am in awe of the many great designers whose patterns I have used.

But, I will say the person with the most challenging patterns is Mike Williams.  When I complete a piece that uses one of his patterns, I feel that I really have accomplished something.