gate latch patten

Hammersteve

Why would you want to make out of wood?? If you want to just copy what you have and have at it. Pretty self explanatory and no pattern needed. If you are a woodworker and have the tools you should be able to make that. The latch maybe the tricky part. Go to Home Depot and take some photos. I bet they have something close. 

On 4/5/2018 at 9:39 PM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Why would you want to make out of wood?? If you want to just copy what you have and have at it. Pretty self explanatory and no pattern needed. If you are a woodworker and have the tools you should be able to make that. The latch maybe the tricky part. Go to Home Depot and take some photos. I bet they have something close. 

John T. did you notice where he is from? Maybe not as easy in England.

Ray

3 hours ago, octoolguy said:

John T. did you notice where he is from? Maybe not as easy in England.

Ray

I did not notice that so I am guessing no Home Depots??? :)My point is he did not post what he wanted to use it for. If this is an outdoor thing on a fence gate then why wood. Get something that will stand up to weather. Now if this is for a project that is smaller in scale and indoors you still need more tools than a scrollsaw to pull it off was my point. Now because I do not draw well and can not make patterns, I suggest 2 levers or bars on both sides of the fence tied together so that what you do from one side the other side operates too. Simple latch. That is all I have without more info. 

On 4/5/2018 at 11:34 PM, Hammersteve said:

Hi have anyone got a wooded gate latch patten the type that can be open from inside or outside like the metel one in picture

Regards

Steve

images.jpg

Not sure if its indoor or outdoor you are after Steve but if it was me I would copy one of these I have attached they should work ok from what I can see but if you put a little more detail of what you actually are thinking of using it for ie outdoor indoor full size etc etc then you may get others chip in too but for me I would try one of the ones i have found for you and see what happens worse case you are stuck on the inside just keep your phone on you :) 

Japanese handle should work ok.jpg

Repeated on both sides should work any shape can be used too not just a shark.jpg

This should work also .jpg

Have any of you folks ever watched any of the videos made by Matthias Wandel? He makes woodworking equipment out of wood and does very nice work. Along with being an engineering genius. His folks had some cabins on a lake up in Canada that he has inherited and he is fixing them all up to use as guest cabins. He made some unique wooden latches for them. Do a search on youtube for his name and also his website. Very interesting. Here is his website.   https://woodgears.ca/

Ray

Edited by octoolguy