Deal or No deal - 2 No deal

GrampaJim

After examining the machine, it did indeed have the dreaded Fasco motor.  Considering all I have learned in previous discussions here and with Bushton, and even though they reduced the price to $375, I have decided to walk away.  Too bad, because the machine was in almost pristine condition.  I could not see any signs of wear.  

I think that was probably a smart choice.. Just my opinion but I don't think I'd ever pay any more than $200 for a saw of that vintage considering the older motor could have issues..  That said.. even a new saw could have motor issues.. I just find it hard to fork out that kind of money knowing it may potentially need a motor / controller at any time and have to pay an additional $400 for that.. then you still have a old potentially worn saw... On a positive note.. parts and upgrades are available for that old saw still... I've done many upgrades to my saw.. so many so that I feel I've actually put too much money into it.. and my issue is.. I have more in it than it's worth.. yet I don't need it either.. but refrain from selling it because I do know they have issues with the motor and mine does jump around with small power surges just touching the VS dial.. so I'd really feel bad to sell it and have it go sour for someone else.. 

That said, I have my money's worth of learning experience of working / rebuilding the saw.. as it was my first Hawk.. and I think I'm going to put some more money in it and replace the Pot.. if that takes care of the jumpy motor.. I'd be more willing to sell the thing or keep it and sell the new one, LOL    Plus.. if fixing the pot takes care of the problems with the saws and their known motor / controller issue.. then I wouldn't mind having to pay a steeper price for another if I know that was what the main issues are.. The Pot is only $5 shipped..  

Edited by kmmcrafts

If you are looking at them.. another tell tail sign of a old saw is.. Look at the air blower hose.. All the older saws came with just a hose.. the newer saws have the flex ( line lock ) hose.. but.. don't let that trick you as well.. as Hawk sells a upgrade kit to change the old saws into having the new flex hose.. ( one of the upgrades I did on mine )..