Clock question.

jbrowning

I also have this pattern printed and plan to make it a clock.. Though the pattern is originally kind of large.. I plan to shrink it down some.. and use a 1- 7/16 insert.. because that is the size I have on hand.. plus.. I personally like the smaller size of this type of clock.. Guess I think of it as a space saver and... less a plus is less lumber, LOL

But yeah the original size.. I'd certainly use a bigger clock.. 

If I were to use the pattern the way it was drawn I would use a 2" insert on the front wheel. Definetly not the back because I think the chain linkage is a nice touch. If i were to shrink it then use a smaller insert. Depending what your concept of clocks are that you make will determine the size I would think. Also I would not do any fret work in the wheel. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

6 minutes ago, jbrowning said:

Thanks everyone, I only have the wheels to cut out now. I'm hoping to get that done tonight. I'm cutting one with the wheel intact and then another one with the clock in the front wheel.

Jim

You can always add a clock to the side of the bike and not alter it. Very easy to do that too. I probably would do that because the detail on the bike all around is very nice. 

1 hour ago, jbrowning said:

Uum, you totally lost me John.

Jim what I am saying is leave the bike intact and do not put a clock in the wheels. Instead just make the base a little longer and put some sort of clock holder next to it. Be it may a round circle or some tool or object related to bikes and put it in that. My thought would just be a round circle as in the examples I show. On those military clocks the pattern never called for a clock but I added that next to the name of the branch of service. I do this alot on many patterns because I like clocks.

Copyofmedicalclock.jpg

656Armed_Forces_Clocks-med.jpg

Nice work JT!!

I also add a spot for clocks as JT shows in these pictures.. I've done this and plan to do many more with the puzzle patterns like Iggy cuts.. but rather than cut out as a puzzle I cut it with the dog name and then ad a spot for a clock to go into.. Been doing this sort of thing for years..

7 minutes ago, jbrowning said:

Thanks John and Kevin, I will try this also with one of my pieces. Who knows, I might need to find a clock supplier for inserts.

Jim

If you can plan it out yourself right... You can also cut out the bike... sand the tires down so there is a flat to glue to another board with a clock.. ie make a base for the bike in a contrasting wood ( or same wood ) with the spot for the clock.. to glue to the flat spot on the tires of the bike.. Then of coarse make a wider base to glue or countersink screws into for better stability.. I've done this when I wanted to make the base look like dirt as in a dirt road.. for tractor clocks.. Typically use walnut or spalted maple for the road portion.. and make the tractor portion from Maple or other light colored wood.. 

Using different colored woods or materials for bases is a good idea and can enhance the look. I use green felt on all my golf related clocks to make look like a putting green. Clocks can make a simple pattern look so much more useful and appeals to more people in my opinion. The themes can be enormous and the sky is the limit when making clocks. Now what time is it I have to go to dinner. :)

GolfBallDisplay.jpg

IMGP0039.JPG