12 inch diameter Ash Bowl

susieq4131

what a work of art ! i'll bet that was slow cutting useing ash wood.I would'nt sell that one .That's my salad bowl,lol.I know that at a fancy wood sales place here they get top dollar for stuff like that.And when hurricane season comes and knocks down the trees they buy cut wet pieces and turn them into bowl. lots of exotic trees here.You do great work suzieq! :) what remarkable quality!!! :)

what a work of art ! i'll bet that was slow cutting useing ash wood.I would'nt sell that one .That's my salad bowl,lol.I know that at a fancy wood sales place here they get top dollar for stuff like that.And when hurricane season comes and knocks down the trees they buy cut wet pieces and turn them into bowl. lots of exotic trees here.You do great work suzieq! :) what remarkable quality!!! :)

amazingkevin,

Thanks so much! You always say the nicest things.

Cutting this out wasn't as bad as one might expect. I used a #9 regular skip tooth blade. But the sanding is a bit more tedious. I used a 60 grit sleeve on the spindle sander. I have a matching 15 inch bowl glued up and looking forward to cutting that tomorrow afternoon, after I get off work. Wood was 26 1/2 mm thick (just over 1 inch thick) and cut it at 34 degrees. I finished this with mineral oil. The glue up is on the edge grain, so they are built like a cutting board and then cut into the rings. The edge grain glue up method should make these bowls very durable and prevent warping.

Interesting site: www.bowlmill.com Seems they use only USP grade mineral oil on all their turned bowls and kitchen products. I thought I would give it a try on this bowl.

SQ