I need some finishing advice.

OCtoolguy

7 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Something just ventured through my mind. What's left of it anyway. At the risk of sounding like I've lost my potato chips, I was wondering if, since many of us have this in our shops, we might use Johnson's Paste Wax on our wooden creations. I understand that it might not be suitable for anything that is going to come in contact with food items but why not use it like any other wax?

I have used it for my projects that I have lacquered. I also use it to wax my tablesaw top. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm back again. I tried tung oil and watco oil both in clear. Since I "cheaped out" and used poplar for the seven middle layers of my basket instead of the maple that was called for, I'm having a very difficult time finishing this thing. I bought some stain and tried a couple of different colors on some scraps and nothing looks very good because of the poplar not taking stain the same way as the oak. Most of the basket is going to be the edges of the poplar and they turn almost black with whatever I put on them except the oil. Anyway, long story short, I don't have a clue what I'm doing or what I should do. I did just take a couple of scraps, taped them together to get an idea of how they would look and shot a couple of coats of clear shellac on them. That looks like it will turn out the best. My biggest problem at this point, is that I glued everything together and had planned on using whatever finish I decided on for the whole basket. I'm open for anybody's advice that might be given. HELP!

basket.jpg

basket2.jpg

basket3.jpg

Edited by octoolguy

Thank you Ray. I can see why you got good reviews on this. That came out real nice. The two woods had enough color variation to make it pop. Whenever a finish is put on raw wood it really brings it to life. You did a good job on this for sure and thanks for showing here. Those are fun and easy projects because you can stack cut a few pieces at a time. I will caution you though, use a good quality glue and do not be skimpy. Glue before finishing too. So my point is be careful if you plan on staining layers before gluing. Basically the strength to those are the nibs. I can see why others will want these. Make a nice candy dish or place for some flowers. Now get to work and keep up the good work. 

One more time, thanks John T. I did glue it together prior to finishing. I was very careful not to get any squeeze out and if I did, I wiped it right after it glazed over so it wouldn't smear. I'm going to try one now out of walnut and maple to get some real different colors.

You can use many combination of woods. Here are some keepsake boxes I make that have that same design but smaller for jewelry and rings and things and also some desk clocks that have that design of stacking rings. I mix and match many woods and I finish in my Danish oil dipping. 

656basket_weave_clocks-med.jpg

656Keepsake_Boxes-med.jpg

Copy of IMGP0428.JPG

Copy of IMGP0431.JPG

14 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

You can use many combination of woods. Here are some keepsake boxes I make that have that same design but smaller for jewelry and rings and things and also some desk clocks that have that design of stacking rings. I mix and match many woods and I finish in my Danish oil dipping. 

656basket_weave_clocks-med.jpg

656Keepsake_Boxes-med.jpg

Copy of IMGP0428.JPG

Copy of IMGP0431.JPG

Your work humbles me John T. Truly, you are the master. I'd love to try some of these if I could just master Inkscape and learn how to create/alter patterns. Where do you find all the hardware/embellishments that you use? I must have been sleeping or something. I've never seen a source for that stuff.

Clearly I am very late to the conversation, but here are my 2 cents worth.  I have made a couple of small bowls that I use regularly for popcorn in the evening. I just used Tung Oil on them.  They only get rinsed in  hot water with a dish cloth to clean.  Been a year at least and hubby and I are still around!!!

9 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Your work humbles me John T. Truly, you are the master. I'd love to try some of these if I could just master Inkscape and learn how to create/alter patterns. Where do you find all the hardware/embellishments that you use? I must have been sleeping or something. I've never seen a source for that stuff.

OK I will tell you but now I will have to send my people out your way👥  It probably is one of the best kept secret web sites for craft parts. I do not see it mentioned much. www.NationalArtcraft.com  I also visit the craft stores by me such as AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels get lots of ideas by just walking around there at times. Thanks for the kind words too.