Cutting Boards / Butcher Blocks? Jointer Issues

kmmcrafts

I was headed down a different path than scroll work and am planning to put together another web site with just Butcher blocks and maybe some kitchen utensils etc..  Will start a whole new name / brand of items.. Though some ( limited) amounts will still show up on my web site and etsy.. anyway..

I made these last week during some breaks from the scroll saw to ease the kinks in my neck from sitting at my saw making ornaments.. 

My jointer motor started slowing and acting erratically.. not too good for my new business venture.. or my old one.. I picked up my jointer at a garage sale 5-6 years ago for $25 Delta JS60? or something like that.. Took to the motor shop and they thought maybe it was something with the variable speed mechanism.. but they are 2-3 weeks out..

If I need a new machine, what would you all say a good unit would be.. at some point.. I wouldn't mind having a large floor model.. but my budget isn't going to allow that at this time.. unless I come across a awesome craiglist or other used bargain that I cannot pass up.. Even with a bench top model.. I rarely find that bargain deal when i am in a rush to get something to put me back to work though.. but t will usually surface hours after I make a new purchase and no money left 😂

I think I can probably make the end grain boards without the jointer so am going to give that a whirl soon.. My table saw is basically junk and something that I saved from a scrap yard several years ago, put new bearings in the motor for $5 and been using it ever since.. but it's blade run out doesn't allow for very smooth accurate cuts.. so making these boards with table-saw only isn't feasible..

Anyway enjoy the photos.. also open for photography advice on taking pictures of cutting boards, LOL

DSC04638.JPG

DSC04639.JPG

DSC04633.JPG

DSC04636.JPG

Rigid gets good marks for a bench top planer, I have a Delta that is probably 10 or12 years old. I make end grain boards and use a joiner to flatten one side of the board and then the planer to get even thickness I use rough cut lumber so thats how I do it. Currently working on a board the they want 2" thick  an 12 1/2 wide and 18" long Walnut, Cherry and Hard Maple.

5 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I believe a drum sander would be a better option than a jointer or a planer. With a good table saw you get dimensions close and then clean up with sander. I have a Performax 16/32 and it is a work horse for me. Could not do without for all projects. 

You know, I hadn't thought of that. I always thought that I'd like one of those for sanding the cutting boards down.. since I'm somewhat limited with the 13" wide thickness planner.. I've looked at the open end sanders where I could sand a very wide board.. Hmm.. I guess I better do a little research on these.. Quit a lot more money than the joiner.. but then more use's too.. 

51 minutes ago, oldhudson said:

I don't know the unit, but I'd try replacing the brushes first. I see quite a few used Craftsman units on CL. If you go with some sort of 'sander' don't forget to figure in the cost of replacement sanding belts. Finally, I've never done it but some folks joint on a router table. Good luck.

Yeah , that was the first thing I looked at.. I believe it's the variable speed mechanism or the circuit board.. The motor shop i took it to is an awesome place.. If they can't fix it then it's junk.. LOL... I put a limit on how much I'd spend to repair it.. so they know.. Just hoping it's a cheap fix..   

1 hour ago, Woodmaster1 said:

Kevin I make end grain cutting boards and a drum sander or router jigs are a must. I have a supermax 16-32 that works great at sand the cutting board smooth. I got the sander at Johnson's Workbench.

IMG_0646.jpg

I’d like to make a end grain board, kind of wondered if you can run the end grain through the planers. That was partly why I’d like a sander. 

Beautiful work by the way!

35 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I’d like to make a end grain board, kind of wondered if you can run the end grain through the planers. That was partly why I’d like a sander. 

Beautiful work by the way!

You can with careful preparation but you still stand a chance of it exploding in the planer. This may damage a new planer which you would not like that to happen. Your best options are a router jig to plane the cutting boards until you can get a drum sander.

1 hour ago, Rockytime said:

Beautiful even though I have no idea how you do that.

It is easier than you think. You glue strips of scrap wood, cut that into more strips and rotate every other strip 90 degrees, glue these strips together, cut the strips and repeat gluing process. The last step is cut the glue up across the grain and turn up on end alternate the strips and glue back together. Then sand or router flat. Thanks for the compliment.