scroll saw down

Clayton717

I was doing some scrolling tonight and my blade kept slipping out of the bottom holder. I took the thumb screw out and it looked there was a little spring on the end of it. Not a spring it was the threads of lower blade clamp. Just got done ordering new upper and lower blade clamp assemblies, so I will not be scrolling for a week or so. I have the Excalibur 21 its almost 4 years old and this is the only problem I've had. I'm pretty sure it is caused by me over tightening the thumb screw.

13 minutes ago, spirithorse said:

Bummer, Clayton,
Luckily you are really experienced with a lot of other lathe work, pyrography, etc so,
hopefully this won't be too stressful.

God Bless! Spirithorse

Nope luckily the project I was working on I can finish the few remaining cuts on my bands saw. And I do have plenty of other things to keep me busy until the parts arrive.

I've read of this issue on the DeWalts as well... so when I bought my DeWalt 12 years ago.. I also ordered extra blade clamps... unfortunately or fortunately LOL.. however you want to look at it.. but I've never had to install a new one yet.. Kinda guessing I bought them for nothing now.. but it'll be something that.. when I do need them.. I won't know where they are anyway.. taped to my saw stand in a bag of parts.. Might be worth big money one day when they become obsolete and someone needs them.. I'll have two new ones for someone that has fat wallets I suppose.lol

To get back in the game, you may want to try this. Swap the fixed hex screw with the thumb screw. Either Loctite or epoxy the hex screw into the stripped side and keep cutting. I had this happen to me. The Loctite was enough but I eventually bought a #6.0 1 Helicoil kit and replace the stripped out thread. I also ordered a replacement mount for my EX-16 but now I have a spare lower mount. BTW, having the "T" bolt on the left will preclude you over tightening. I actually prefer this set up now.