Another paint/finish question

OCtoolguy

Howdy, I'm finishing up a project and I want to paint it in 3 bright colors. Red, white, and blue. I want it to shine. So, my question is.....should I use enamel or ???? I haven't painted anything in a bright color in years. The last time, you could still buy oil base paint with lead in it. So, now I'm sort of at a loss as to which I should use. I hate the cleanup using turpentine or paint thinner. Water based enamel? Acrylic enamel? Rustoleum? Can anybody help me out?

18 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Ray, I do a lot of finishing.........two years ago I broke down and bought a spray outfit. Now I use lacquer  and spray clear or mix it with pigment to get my my colors. I can get any shine I want. Before I got this outfit I would use rattle cans.

Tell me about your spray outfit. Sounds interesting. Is it one of those turbine contraptions that cost as much as my rent?

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Tell me about your spray outfit. Sounds interesting. Is it one of those turbine contraptions that cost as much as my rent?

Ray, I have the Titan Flexspray. I bought the kit at Sherwin Williams about two years ago. The thing I like best about it is that the head and cup comes off the turbin handle. Currently I have five different heads with cups. I keep one for clear, black, red, blue, and white. Those are the main colors I am currently spraying. I can leave the spray in them all the time and I don't have to clean them up unless I want a different color. I might take them apart once every six months and clean them up. I use pre catalysed lacquer that I get from Sherwin  Williams.  If I want a color I have them tint it or if I want a small amount of a different color I colorant and mix it myself. The Store I deal with gives me great prices. I pay $26 a gallon for lacquer. For the extra cups and guns I pay $60 a piece. It is and expensive setup but I was using about 10 rattle cans a week before I bought It.  If it died tomorrow I would buy another one just like it.image.jpeg.dc9e4fa0abc31f73e82bfb7cba1f3222.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

Ray, I have the Titan Flexspray. I bought the kit at Sherwin Williams about two years ago. The thing I like best about it is that the head and cup comes off the turbin handle. Currently I have five different heads with cups. I keep one for clear, black, red, blue, and white. Those are the main colors I am currently spraying. I can leave the spray in them all the time and I don't have to clean them up unless I want a different color. I might take them apart once every six months and clean them up. I use pre catalysed lacquer that I get from Sherwin  Williams.  If I want a color I have them tint it or if I want a small amount of a different color I colorant and mix it myself. The Store I deal with gives me great prices. I pay $26 a gallon for lacquer. For the extra cups and guns I pay $60 a piece. It is and expensive setup but I was using about 10 rattle cans a week before I bought It.  If it died tomorrow I would buy another one just like it.image.jpeg.dc9e4fa0abc31f73e82bfb7cba1f3222.jpeg

How much air compressor does it require. I just have a small oilless compressor that I carried when we were on the road. It's a 6 gallon tank and not a fast recovery at all.

Never mind that question Dave. I just watched their video and I see it's all self contained. Neat deal. I might have to look into one. Thanks.

Edited by octoolguy

15 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

How much air compressor does it require. I just have a small oilless compressor that I carried when we were on the road. It's a 6 gallon tank and not a fast recovery at all.

Never mind that question Dave. I just watched their video and I see it's all self contained. Neat deal. I might have to look into one. Thanks.

No air compressor.  The handle is a turbine that has a cord to plug in.

1 minute ago, Dave Monk said:

One thing you might check.........are lacquers available in CA? I've heard that the EPA laws are strict there.

As far as I know Dave. I haven't heard anything about them being illegal. I know we can buy rattle cans of anything. 

I wonder how much better your system is than a Wagner. Have you ever compared?

Edited by octoolguy

17 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

As far as I know Dave. I haven't heard anything about them being illegal. I know we can buy rattle cans of anything. 

I wonder how much better your system is than a Wagner. Have you ever compared?

I'm thinking the Wagner is more of the homeowner model and the Titan is Commercial. The Titan has metal cups and the Wagner I believe has plastic.

1 minute ago, Dave Monk said:

I'm thinking the Wagner is more of the homeowner model and the Titan is Commercial. The Titan has metal cups and the Wagner I believe has plastic.

Maybe that's all I need though. I'm not a production guy. I just want to be able to paint stuff.

34 minutes ago, crupiea said:

rattle can spray paint works great. I use it all the time.

For small projects I agree. But, this is going to be applied to the cart I just built. A large area and hard to contain the spray/fumes etc. That's why I thought it would be better to brush/roll it on. Also get a thicker coat that way. I'm going to apply primer first no matter what way I go. Thanks Crupiea.