Pegas Blade Chuck = Quality

kmmcrafts

Something I haven’t seen in the reviews of these upgraded blade chucks.  I have questioned parts availablility for new tension levers and thumb screws etc. 

After getting these new chucks and installing them I noticed that the tension lever actually doesn’t rub  on the clamp which creates the tension like the OEM Excalibur ones do. The Pegas tensioning is done by a steel pin that goes through an encentric. So I don’t really see where there would be any major wearing points on these new clamps. Possibly the brass bushings and pins eventually, but I’m thinking that would take a long time. 

I attached a photo of the side view showing the ( I’m assuming ) brass bushing with a pin going through it on an offset which lifts / lowers the clamp for tension / release of the blade. 

These clamps are very well worth the cost very high quality, and make a very good improvement over the OEM blade chuck

8BB52D71-E150-4A4B-8EC7-37BA0E3E9C84.jpeg

Well, I had problems with my Excalibur upper clamp chuck day one straight out of the box.. the saw run good but the clamp was less than desirable.. I had posted a few times in the forums about the issues I had and many seem to think I had a defective clamp to begin with.. My thumb / set screw holes was not centered in the clamp mechanism properly.. I had to center the blade in the thumb screw area.. rather than just put the blade at the back of the clamp like most people do.. it was as if the screw holes was too far forward on the mechanism.. If I put my blade to the back and tighten the thumb screw down.. the thumb screw would miss the blade.. I had to bring the blade forward to catch the thumb screw.. then also had slippage issues from time to time.. 

I probably wouldn't have bought this set IF everything was working smoothly from that standpoint. But talk about frustrated.. brand new saw that I hated.. I am more than thrilled to actually enjoy cutting on this saw now.. 

I don't know how much the parts cost for the Excalibur saws clamps.. tension levers etc that wear out.. but I'm thinking if one needs to replace something on their EX clamps.. they'd be farther ahead upgrading to the Pegas.. as I don't see anything that would actually wear out with this new design..      

7 hours ago, wombatie said:

Could you tell me where I can purchase the new blade clamps please, I did have the web address but I lost it.  :roll:

Marg

This is where I got mine as it's on sale.. Not sure what saw you have but this one linked is for the Excalibur.. They also have them for the DeWalt and Jet saw too.. but you'd have to search for it. Also Bear Woods, and DND sells them on their site as well.. I'm sure I'm missing the other sellers I found but you can just google search for pegas blade chuck.. since pegas is known for blades you'll have to sort through sites that also sell the blades.. Anyway.. one linked below was the cheapest deal because they are on sale. I ordered on Sunday evening and they came in the mail in about 3-4 days

https://qtena.com/b-pegas-head-clamp-set-br-for-axminster-carbatec-excalibur-excelsior-jet-king-pegas-and-seyco-scroll-saws-p-9607.html 

9 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Have you seen them for our Hawk saws, KM? I've been followin' these threads, too, and am interested in them. I don't use pegasus blades, but am seriously thinkimg of going to them. Especially the modified geometry blades.

Hahahaha, Not to say that a Excalibur or other saws that have aftermarket clamps available are not a high end saw.. but I think when you buy a high end saw like our Hawks.. you already have a high end quality clamp that came with it, LOL.. I see how you tricked me into saying that..😂😂:) ... and I said it as nicely as I could as to not offend anyone.. :)

I don't see the humor in the question, KM. I simply asked an informal question. The blade holders we have with the Hawks at the present will be suitable, I have no doubt. But if it takes a Chuck to wisely use Pegasas blades, count me out! I don't see the need to make modifications to my saw for blades I won't use. I'll just stay where I'm at & keep using Olson & Flying Dutchman. I know the blades, and won't have to buy modifications just to use their blades. Thank you for yout input, KM.

10 minutes ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

I don't see the humor in the question, KM. I simply asked an informal question. The blade holders we have with the Hawks at the present will be suitable, I have no doubt. But if it takes a Chuck to wisely use Pegasas blades, count me out! I don't see the need to make modifications to my saw for blades I won't use. I'll just stay where I'm at & keep using Olson & Flying Dutchman. I know the blades, and won't have to buy modifications just to use their blades. Thank you for yout input, KM.

No modification is needed to use Pegas blades on our Hawks.. they are just standard pinless blades like any other pinless blades.. The blade chucks are a after market retro fit for the poorly made blade chucks from Excalibur, DeWalt and Jet saws.. since these saws use a lower quality cast aluminum with steel threads on the thumb screws = junk clamps for these saws if you aren't careful.. but the Pegas upgraded clamps are a very well made upgrade..