Flat End Spiral Bit question

jbrowning

So a while ago I was using a spiral blade Flying Dutchmen and as long as I was going forward or backward it worked fine. But when I tried to go side to side the blade would just bend. Now I don't remember what size blade it was but I want to say I was using a 1/4" plywood left over piece. Like I said I was tying to get use to using that type of blade. Has anyone else had that problem?

Hello J,

Regardless of whether it is a flat blade or "regular" spiral you're using, they do require more tension than a flat blade. Like Roberta mentioned also, they do stretch in use. Especially if you are doing quite a bit of side to side work with them. When I set the tension on a new blade, I always set it just tight enough to get a good "pluck" on it. Then I run the saw for a minute or so on half speed. This "stretches the blade, and takes the "new" out of it. Then I adjust my tension on the spiral blade to a good, snug tension. Not enough tension it pulls out of the blade older, but good and tight. You should hear a high pitched "ping" when you strum the blade. You are ready to make some sawdust! Remember to let the blade do the cuttin' and you just guide and feed your project. Adjust your speed to the point where you can keep up, the is doin' a good job of cuttin', and you're not forcing the project into the blade. When you start that, check your tension or replace the blade. Hope this helps. God Bless.

Spiral blades do typically need a little more tension as others mentioned.. I also use them somewhat like a flat blade still and cut with them on the front portion of the blade.. The way a scroll saws blade motion works.. there is a slight front to back motion on the blade.. so you'll probably find the spiral will cut faster using the front and possibly the rear of the blade as opposed to the sides of the blade.. because of that slight blade front to back blade motion.. Spirals typically wear out a little faster too.. Since I do a lot of my cutting on them on the front like a flat blade sometimes I'll take the blade out and reverse it for the less used teeth on the opposite side..