New Excalibur

Travis

No, but here looks to be a good deal on a Hawk in my area..  You buy it, I could pick it up and deliver it to you next time I go to Portland....  In the mean time, I could try it out and keep it warm for you......

https://kpr.craigslist.org/tls/d/rbi-hawk-20-scroll-saw/6642687280.html

17 hours ago, Travis said:

Howdy All.  I'm dangerously close to retiring my 16" Craftsman scroll saw and buying a new scroll saw.  Fairly recently, Excalibur re-emerged on the market.  Other than it being made in a different factory, has anybody had any experience or heard of anything worth noting on the new saw?

I'm fairly sure that they are being made in the same factory that the old General International Excalibur saws were made in.  They are certainly being made to (almost) the same specs.

2 hours ago, Frank Pellow said:

I'm fairly sure that they are being made in the same factory that the old General International Excalibur saws were made in.  They are certainly being made to (almost) the same specs.

King is from same Taiwan factory, but Excalibur had to move their production to a factory in China.

17 minutes ago, hotshot said:

King is from same Taiwan factory, but Excalibur had to move their production to a factory in China.

Thanks for clearing this up.

I should add that, as things stand right now, I trust products marketed by King Canada a LOT more than those marked by the remnants of the General Canada company.

Edited by Frank Pellow

I'm looking to buy new.  I'm looking for the 21".  I'd prefer to buy King, but they don't sell the 21" in the US.  It sounds like they'll have one out shortly, though.  I have an email out to Peter at King Industrial to find the timeline.

Home Depot sells Excalibur 21", which is why I'm leaning that way.  I can have it shipped to the store to pick up with free shipping.  Plus, it's a pretty good price at $799 that includes foot pedal and stand.  But since they disappeared for while without word and re-negotiated manufacturing facilities, I'm a bit hesitant.  That's why I decided to ask if anybody has heard anything good or bad about the new set of Excalibur saws.

I had another brainstorm on my way in to work today.  I like Jet tools, but I'm not too fond of the blade changing system on their scroll saw.  But, what if I buy the Jet and replace the head with the Pegas clamp?  What are your thoughts on that?

I'd consider going with the Jet.. I believe it has a slightly larger work table too.. I may be wrong but I thought the table looked bigger on the Jet when i was looking at them in the showroom floor.. I actually like the blade chuck on the Jet.. but it's the same set up as with my Hawk for the bottom clamp and i like the self clamp / tension in one step.. I see that as an advantage for fretwork like I do.. Jet seems to be close to the $1000 mark and would be with the Pegas upgrade..  

I have a Seyco that I am very satisfied with.  They are a little harder to assemble that the King or Excalibur, but if you watch Steve Good's video on assembly, it really helps.  Even I could accomplish it!!  The only negatives about them that I know of are: one, there is a hole in the table about midway back.  It allows for clearance for some part of the swivel mechanism.... or something and it can protrude above the table just high enough to mark the magnetic cover.  Too fix it thin washers can be put between the table top and the body of the saw,,very easy.  The second con for some is the head will only tilt 30degrees or so... some people require up to 45 degrees of tilt.

I did not care for the magnetic top cover so I gave it to Heppnerguy to play with..  But to me it is not a pro or con, just personal preference.

Thought of one other thing,,, the Excalibur has a knob you turn to tilt the head,,, Seyco you push it.  I do not know if good or bad, I haven't tilted the head on my Seyco yet, but it seems to me the knob turning would be better for ease of adjusting,,,, maybe, maybe not.

Edited by Scrappile

3 hours ago, Travis said:

I'm looking to buy new.  I'm looking for the 21".  I'd prefer to buy King, but they don't sell the 21" in the US.  It sounds like they'll have one out shortly, though.  I have an email out to Peter at King Industrial to find the timeline.

Home Depot sells Excalibur 21", which is why I'm leaning that way.  I can have it shipped to the store to pick up with free shipping.  Plus, it's a pretty good price at $799 that includes foot pedal and stand.  But since they disappeared for while without word and re-negotiated manufacturing facilities, I'm a bit hesitant.  That's why I decided to ask if anybody has heard anything good or bad about the new set of Excalibur saws.

I had another brainstorm on my way in to work today.  I like Jet tools, but I'm not too fond of the blade changing system on their scroll saw.  But, what if I buy the Jet and replace the head with the Pegas clamp?  What are your thoughts on that?

Travis, I have seen the King Canada Excelsior 21 inch saw at a local dealer and, to me, it looks just like the old General International Excalibur 21 inch saw.  So, it does exist if you can wait.  Having said that, if I were in the market for a new saw and lived in the USA, I would probably buy a Seyco.

Edited by Frank Pellow

I have a Seyco and an older Excalibur that I purchased use from Ray at Seyco.  Have always been happy with both and the service I have gotten.  Travis, if you reach out to Ray at Seyco, explain to him who you are in regards to running this forum, perhaps he could cut you a "deal".  Like Paul, I do recommend anyone getting a Seyco watch Steve Good's video about putting it together and adding the thin washers to lift up the magnetic table top for better clearance as noted.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I waffled back and forth, but I finally took the plunge.  I ordered the Excalibur from Home Depot.  HD has a pretty good return policy, so if it's really bad, I can return it.  Plus, it's on Sale for $799, which is helpful to my wallet.  :)

No matter what, it'll be an upgrade from my 16" Craftsman scroll saw I bought nearly 10 years ago...LOL.

Congratulations!  If the Excaliburs of today, are as good as past you will be very pleased.  Of the saws I have owned the Excalibur was my second favorite.  Second only because me and my Hegner are getting along so well now, and I don't have an Excalibur anymore. I think you made a great choice.