Not a Happy Camper today

rdatelle

Hi everyone, well I,m not very happy today with the Post Office. You all remember the Navy word art plaque I made for my Grandson. Well I mailed it out priority mail on 8/8/2018 from Ga to N.J. Well it got to N.J. In two days which was great. Well for the past 10 days all the tracking would say was in transit to next destination.  Well today I get an envelope with the cut out label from the priority box that I sent out with a note saying my package was damaged in transit and there very sorry for the inconvenience, so I go to the PO to find out where the package is and they don't know. They said to file a claim. I say, how do I file a claim without the damaged goods. I tell them how could that get damaged when it.s made out of wood. They said just take a picture of the label they sent you and a picture of what was in the box. So I guess I'll have to make him another one. It was insured for $50.00 when you ship it priority mail with tracking. Thank God. Let's see how long it takes to get a refund. Well that's all I have to complain about today.

IMG_0519.JPG

Unfortunately this happens from time to time.. while I'm sure it's a daily thing with the USPS.. but that said.. I mail out about 700 - 1000 items a year with my business and it's only happen to me about 3 times over the last 8 years.. I filed my claims online and uploaded a picture of the damaged goods.. They mailed out a check and I had it within I think like 10 days..

I look at it differently.  In all my years with what shipping and receiving I have done, which is not a much as some, but still, the amount of problems I have had I could probably count on one hand.  Considering the volume of items they handle daily and as much handling as it all requires I think that is pretty darn good.  Most damaged things I have received were magazines, but a lot of the blame for that, in my opinion is the fault of the sender's lack of packaging.  Ones that are package somehow do well.  And for price, next time you want to have something delivered across country, or even to the next town, get in your car and deliver it, then figure out what it cost you...  Just saying....

Just my opinion, not worth the cost of a postage stamp!!😌

Edited by Scrappile

A postal worker once told me that they won't cover poorly packaged items.. they require a minimum of 1 inch space between the item and the box itself.. for the most part.. All of my shipping for my woodwork i wrapped in the large bubbles bubble wrap and about two - three inch thick of just bubble wrap.. then.. I use packing peanuts for fill to make the item filled in the box so it cannot get bumped around inside the box.. When I had items damaged several years ago.. I only used wrapped up news papers.. well not news paper but actual packing paper, LOL..  Anyway I showed my postal clerk how I package my stuff.. and they said they could probably get run over by the mail truck and not get broke, LOL..

On a side note.. just three weeks ago I had a return customer message me and said it was a good thing I wrapped all that bubble wrap on his order.. He said the box was delivered sopping wet and dripping all over the place.. the box was mangled and had a tire track on it just as if it had been run over.. he said he was sure it would be broke or at least damaged from being wet.. He said as he unwrapped the bubble wrap.. the item was dry and un-damaged.. He couldn't believe it wasn't damaged.. Bubble wrap is cheap compared to a scrolled piece.. well at least for me.. I buy it 1000 foot at a time.. and cost me $120 usually last me about a year.. Use about 2 bags of packing peanuts a year as well.. that's the big 20 cubic foot bags..   

About 10 years ago I worked on a solar panel system on top of a FedX roof. It was a large system because they had alot of flat roof. I use to walk the grounds around the outside of the building and I saw package after package laying on the ground. What happens is the conveyor system that goes into the trucks for the drivers to load their trucks just keeps packages coming and if they do not keep up they spill over onto the ground or floor inside if your lucky. One day I stopped to pick a few packages up to just put inside the building and I got a ration of garbage for touching them. they said they have some one come around and pick these up. But I saw packages that must have been there for days if not weeks. soak and wet and just mangled. You never know how your packages are handled for sure. It is amazing to watch those conveyor systems in action.