First cutting on Hawk saw (new picture)

jbrowning

Well, I took some time to play with the new (to me) Hawk 226 ULTRA saw tonight. I cut out a Christmas Tree (the same one in the bragging section) and only had one issue and that was operator error. The blade slipped out of the lower blade clamp holder. Didn't break the blade, just the blade slipped out. This was on one of my first corners I was cutting. Anywho, I put the same blade back into the blade holder and walla no issues through cutting the whole tree out. I was running it at speed 8 and had the blade clamp in the aggressive slot. I was using a FDUR5 and cutting on 3/4" Poplar wood. It seemed like it took just a wee bit longer to cut it out. But that might be a good thing, because I'm planning on using the Hegner when I'm wanting to stand up and when I get tired then I will sit down and use the Hawk (or at least that's the plan right now). I had absolutely no issues with the tension like the previous owner said she had. So tomorrow night I will cut out a boot jigsaw puzzle and see how well it does.

Well all in all I am VERY HAPPY with the saw and might be the best $150.00 I have spent in a long time. I might be looking at another one pretty soon.

Thanks to all the SSV folks that have helped me with answering my questions about the saw. I really do appreciate it.

Thank you all

Jim

Edited by jbrowning

2 hours ago, jbrowning said:

Well, I took some time to play with the new (to me) Hawk 226 ULTRA saw tonight. I cut out a Christmas Tree (the same one in the bragging section) and only had one issue and that was operator error. The blade slipped out of the lower blade clamp holder. Didn't break the blade, just the blade slipped out. This was on one of my first corners I was cutting. Anywho, I put the same blade back into the blade holder and walla no issues through cutting the whole tree out. I was running it at speed 8 and had the blade clamp in the aggressive slot. I was using a FDUR5 and cutting on 3/4" Poplar wood. It seemed like it took just a wee bit longer to cut it out. But that might be a good thing, because I'm planning on using the Hegner when I'm wanting to stand up and when I get tired then I will sit down and use the Hawk (or at least that's the plan right now). I had absolutely no issues with the tension like the previous owner said she had. So tomorrow night I will cut out a boot jigsaw puzzle and see how well it does.

Well all in all I am VERY HAPPY with the saw and might be the best $150.00 I have spent in a long time. I might be looking at another one pretty soon.

Thanks to all the SSV folks that have helped me with answering my questions about the saw. I really do appreciate it.

Thank you all

Jim

Someday I too may be able to try a hawk,Good find!

Glad it worked out great for you.. Yes.. I've mentioned many times in these forums that the Hawks are slower cutting.. even argued that point many times with other Hawk owners.. But.. I've also found that the way the blade stroke is on the Hawks..if you play around with various blade styles and configurations.. many times I find I like x blade or x size on the Hawk... but don't like that blade on any other saw.. so it was kind of like learning to saw all over again :) 

I'll be curious how the puzzle works out for you on the Hawk.. I cannot stand cutting them on mine.. but love to cut them on my Excalibur.. Maybe I need to find that right blade configuration on the Hawk.. Also curious about how the puzzle turns out if you cut it with the blade in the aggressive cutting slot.. I did that once and the pieces didn't fit together quite right.. but I also had something else out of wack so i don't know if it was either of the two or just me trying to cut too fast.. :) 

Anyway, enjoy making sawdust on your new toy    

14 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I'll be curious how the puzzle works out for you on the Hawk.. I cannot stand cutting them on mine.. but love to cut them on my Excalibur.. Maybe I need to find that right blade configuration on the Hawk.. Also curious about how the puzzle turns out if you cut it with the blade in the aggressive cutting slot.. I did that once and the pieces didn't fit together quite right.. but I also had something else out of wack so i don't know if it was either of the two or just me trying to cut too fast.. :)

Hi Kevin, well I cut the cowboy boot out with the spurs as the interlocking pieces. Took me about 1.5 hours just to cut it out, I still need to sand it tomorrow. I'm pretty happy with it, I think there a couple pieces that won't go together from the front and back. So I'm still pretty happy with it.