Candle protection

savethebeer

I did not want to ask this question because it would be mentioning Christmas whilst it is still August but Dave has broken that duck.

I have 4 Schwibbogen [German candle arches] ready to make with a front and a rear face, with a battery operated set of lights on the back of the front face. However I'm thinking of adding in a real candle or two on each. I have brass candle holders which have flat bases so these will sit flat on the wood base. My question is does anyone know what I can use to prevent the wood scorching if someone was to let the candle burn right down.

Bob

Hello Mr. Les.

Tea lights are a small candle about the diameter of a 50 cent piece, and about a 1/2'' deep, usually in a small tin. Some aren't. They can be had at hobby lobby, walmart, a candle shop, any place in the mall that sells candles. Especially around the holidays. We ordered our battery operated tea lights out of one of Mary Anns' hobby magazines. We got like 30 or so for $10. I still have some in the shop. I feel a lot safer with them in our tea light projects than a live candle. I always give folks the option of the battery type light, or them purchasing their own candle, and explain to them why we chose the battery type lights. Most folks understand our reasoning behind it, others are stuck on the traditional candle. And I explain the hazards of wood and fire to them, and also, in the past, I have had a couple customers even try to make me replace their project because it caught on fire using a candle. I relieved myself of those responsibilities when they bought the project with the choice of the battery type lite or without one. 

Decades ago there was a really nice family living in our small Iowa town.  On the day of their daughters wedding, just before leaving for Church, one of the parents decided to go to the bathroom for a # 2.  When finished, a candle was lit to get rid of the smell.  As the family attended Church, their house was totaled by fire.

To this day, I have more fear of an innocent looking little candle flame that I would have a momma bear protecting her cubs.

jerry