Blade Clamp Screws/Bolts Rusty

jbrowning

Howdy everyone, I'm working on some cutting and am noticing the upper and lower blade clamp bolt/screw threads are rusty on my Hawk. Any suggestions on how to clean them? I have seen some folks say WD-40 and a wire brush but am worried the wire brush might damage the threads. I do have a nylon brush, do you think that will work?

Thanks

Jim

Hello Him.

If you've got the bolts & nuts out & apart, soak them in some diesel fuel awhile, then use your wire brush on the threads. The wire brush won't bother the threads any, try not to use extreme force into your wire brush. When you put them back together, use just a touch of anti seize on the threads and it will help protect them from rust, too. No need to goober it all over, you'll just have a trap for sawdust, and a mess every time you touch it. It just takes a little dab, and the nut & threads will take care of the rest.

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

I hate WD 40. It's too corrosive for my liking. I use a brass bristled brush and Howes oil. Or some sort of penetrating oil. If you want to see just how corrosive WD is, spray some on a pad of 0000 steel wool and just let it sit for a while. Eventually, it will be gone. Bottom line though, is get a brass brush. Harbor Freight sells them pretty cheap. I keep a bunch of them around for my gun cleaning and other stuff. But, I very seldom ever use WD 40.

True enough, Mr. Ray! WD - 40 isn't worth the the can it's put in. PB Blaster is a good product. Well worth the money. But if you're using the wheel on your grinder, like Mr. Ray, I would highly recommend investing in a brass wheel. Especially for thread clean up, anything aluminum or brass, things like this. A steel wire brush has a tendency to dig into softer metals during the cleaning process. A brass wheel is a softer metal wheel, and less apt to want dig in to softer threads and softer metals during cleaning. The diesel fuel will help to dissolve the rust and corrosion on your bolts, and inside the nuts. There are other cleaners you could use, but diesel fuel is my go to because of its "aroma";), & and its rust dissolving qualities. An old truck driver takes in the diesel aroma every chance he gets!:):) Every one has their own recipe. Just figure out what works best for you, and go with it.

My saw is fairly new (1 year) so I do not have that problem.  However, I do have some nuts and bolts that are used for other things. And they get nasty and rusty.  I am not real familiar with the "guy" methods of cleaning things, But I have had good luck putting mine in my jewelry cleaning sonic cleaner or my tumbler with Dawn dishwasher soap..  I love shiny stuff.  😍