Another couple of Tissue boxes

John B

18 minutes ago, rdatelle said:

Those came out great John. Beautiful finish to. I wish I knew how to do corners like that.

Thanks Ralph,
I cut the corners on a table saw, you could do them on a router table. I use 1/2" (13mm) material for the boxes so the corners have to cover this. I start by machining timber down to about 3/4" (19=20mm) sqr. Then set the fence on the table saw so that I'm making a cut 5/8 (16mm) along the square and the same depth. What I am actually doing is removing a square strip from with id the 19mm pieces, making them L shaped. I usually machine them in lengths of just  over 16" (400mm). I run the ouside cnr on my router table using a 1/4" roundover bit and sand all smooth. Then cut into 4" (100mm) lengths, enough for one box.

tissue box details.gif

10 hours ago, wombatie said:

More wonderful boxes.  I love the finish on all of the boxes that you have shown us, apart from lots of sanding what finish do you use?  Do you do any Aussie themed tissue boxes?

Marg

G'day Marg,

Thank you. I use lacquer 30% gloss. I buy it in 20 litre drums, and yes this one has lasted me quite awhile ;) I used to make lots of toys. I sand the boxes 120g, 180g, 240g, and 330g and cut back between coats with 330g.
I have a couple of Aussie designs, Kangaroos, and a few specific to Kalgoorlie and mining eg a Kangaroo and Head frame, and a Dump Truck. When I find them I'll post 'em up.

15 hours ago, John B said:

G'day Marg,

Thank you. I use lacquer 30% gloss. I buy it in 20 litre drums, and yes this one has lasted me quite awhile ;) I used to make lots of toys. I sand the boxes 120g, 180g, 240g, and 330g and cut back between coats with 330g.
I have a couple of Aussie designs, Kangaroos, and a few specific to Kalgoorlie and mining eg a Kangaroo and Head frame, and a Dump Truck. When I find them I'll post 'em up.

Oh I would love to see the Kalgoorlie and mining ones.

Marg