Wife busting my stones

edward

With shows coming up next month, the wife is busting my stones, for items that haven't sold in six years, she says why dont you let them go for 25% off, maybe you can get rid of some things. I know she is rite , but  I guess I have to give her credit, even thou I don't want too.  Moral is I guess I will have to give in, to keep the peace.

Usually what works for me in this situation is raising the price by 30% then offerng 25% off.. they think they're getting a deal... really amazing what goes through a shoppers head.. sometimes the price is too cheap so they see no value in it... other times you need to make them feel like they;re getting a great deal.... I toy around with prices and customers a lot.. I find that raising the price actually works better than one would really think, LOL...

24 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Usually what works for me in this situation is raising the price by 30% then offerng 25% off.. they think they're getting a deal... really amazing what goes through a shoppers head.. sometimes the price is too cheap so they see no value in it... other times you need to make them feel like they;re getting a great deal.... I toy around with prices and customers a lot.. I find that raising the price actually works better than one would really think, LOL...

I agree with Kevin. When I have items that don’t sell, I raise the price. Then they usually sell!

12 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I have too many repeat customers to pull that off.

10 minutes ago, Rolf said:

I have too many repeat customers to pull that off.

I go to the same auto parts, grocery stores etc... and a returning customer to them... they all do the same things.. part of doing retail business.. though most of these places mark up the price in a way that even though they sell at 50% off.. they still making money.. Problem I see with most crafts people... they try to sell at what "they would buy it for " (which is bottom dollar to even make money).. rather than what the market would really pay for it.. again.. local sales is different than a worldwide market like I'm in online.. But I still say.. most crafts are sold under priced and they leave no bargaining room.. 

If a returning customer called me out on it.. and they wanted it.. I'd offer it at the price they seen it at.. nothing wrong with being paid for the work you put in.. rather than giving it away for nothing.. or sitting on it for a few more years.. 

I have a set price I need to sell my items at.. if they do not sell at that price or higher.... then I don't ever make that again.. I write my web address on it and donate it to charity or a goodwill type store and right it off on taxes as advertising.. so I really didn't do the work for nothing.. and in the end.. I got my tax deduction and with some luck.. advertising done too.. That being said... I don't have much that hasn't sold within a year or so.. and have not really had to do any donations like this yet because of them sitting around too long taking up space.. Have don it for fund raisers for different things just because.. but not because I can't sell it..   

1 hour ago, Woodrush said:

I don't mark the price down either.  When you start doing that people expect that all the time. If I don't sell it for what I want for it, I will donate it or give it as a gift.

I will run a sale for certain occasions with my online stores.. but it's quite rare to happen.. I know what you mean with the sales.. some places are always running some sort of sale...Harbor Freight is a prime example.. If I see something on sale that I want but don't have the money at the time or just see something i want but it's not on sale.. I won't buy it ( unless I desperately need it right away.. otherwise I'm waiting for the sale on it or the coupon for 25% - 30% off before I buy it... I know.it'll be on sale again very soon, LOL They miss out too.. because many times I forget that I had something I wanted.. then i never actually buy it, LOL

That all said though.. the strategy to get business is to run sales and promotions.. people like to feel as if they got a bargain    

On 9/5/2018 at 7:23 PM, kmmcrafts said:

Kevin you have discovered the mentality of allot of american shoppers.   Some say they don't buy much of anything unless it is on sale.   Retailers have gotten wise to them and know how to play the game.   My granddaughter thinks just because and item is supposedly on sale that makes it a good value and sometimes it just isn't. 

Edited by stoney

This tread reminds me of a story I heard many years ago.   A men's clothing store had a circular rack of umbrellas in the very front of the store just inside the door.   They put a sign that read $19.98 each above the umbrellas.   Customers would just walk by the rack and not even stop to take a look.   A couple of weeks later they had only sold one umbrella.   Someone suggested they up the price and put up a new sign that read; CLOSEOUT SALE! $24.98 ea.  They sold all of their inventory in one day.