Eyes and Nose on Reindeer

Alan Twombley

I'm getting back into scroll sawing and just discovered compound cutting and I'm hooked! I just made a bunch of 3D reindeer, thank you Charley for your awesome tutorial. I started to put eyes and noses on with a fine Sharpie and if I lingered too long they would bleed into the wood. I cut them out of white pine. Should I seal them first or should I use paint? Any suggestions?

Hi, Alan,
Another option would be Paint Pens that would be almost exactly like using your Sharpies but, they
are paint.  I tried to look up where may be the cheapest for you but, found some listed as paint pens,
some as paint markers, and some as acrylic paint markers. Some were water based and some oil based
so, it made comparison shopping pretty difficult. 
I did see single pens at Walmart for $1.50 and sets of 10 for about $12 at Amazon and I know from personal
use that a pen will last for a very long time.

Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

3 hours ago, octoolguy said:

What exactly is "sanding sealer"? I asked for it at Home Depot and they couldn't tell me.

While this is not the only brand this is one of the most common in the US.  If you local Home Depot does not have you should be able to get it in Lowes and ACE Hardware.  Well at least in my part of the US.  It should be available in California. It is made from alcohol and bug dropping (Shellac Beetle).  BTW shellac is even used on candy.

View a Larger Image of Sealcoat Universal Sanding Sealer, Quart

23 minutes ago, NC Scroller said:

While this is not the only brand this is one of the most common in the US.  If you local Home Depot does not have you should be able to get it in Lowes and ACE Hardware.  Well at least in my part of the US.  It should be available in California. It is made from alcohol and bug dropping (Shellac Beetle).  BTW shellac is even used on candy.

Thanks Scott, I will try to find it at Ace. I stopped shopping at Lowes after the way they treated all the folks who worked at Orchard Hardware. Terrible what they did.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:31 AM, NC Scroller said:

Thanks Scott I will check it out down under, it may come in useful with all the painted plaques I am doing at the moment.

Marg