Cutting Serif Type

Rockytime

Am I the only one who has trouble cutting serif type? Yesterday I tried cutting a pattern which has a serif font similar to Times Roman Bold. The most difficult character was the capital letter E. I tried cutting that first as it has small serifs in the middle stoke. I was cutting 1/8" BB with a #3 Pegas mg blade. The letter is about 48 point. Try as I might I could not avoid cutting off the center serifs and turning it into sanserif. I have neuropathy in my hands but I think I have pretty good hand control but I was doing a pretty poor job of it. After destroying the first letter I tossed the piece. I guess I will just cut sanserif from now on.

Disgustedly, Les  😠😠

On 9/12/2018 at 12:15 PM, Rockytime said:

Am I the only one who has trouble cutting serif type? Yesterday I tried cutting a pattern which has a serif font similar to Times Roman Bold. The most difficult character was the capital letter E. I tried cutting that first as it has small serifs in the middle stoke. I was cutting 1/8" BB with a #3 Pegas mg blade. The letter is about 48 point. Try as I might I could not avoid cutting off the center serifs and turning it into sanserif. I have neuropathy in my hands but I think I have pretty good hand control but I was doing a pretty poor job of it. After destroying the first letter I tossed the piece. I guess I will just cut sanserif from now on.

Disgustedly, Les  😠😠

I built a gate for our home many years ago. I wanted something that would set it apart from other gates so I created a "window" at the top center and put a very large "S" in it. I did it in Times serif I think. I cut it out on my bandsaw. No breakage problems at all. I'm curious what it is that makes it difficult on a scroll saw.

10 hours ago, John B said:

I like script type fonts to cut. If the design calls for a printed font, look for the least fancy. The added bonus is they are usually the easiest to read.

Hi John. I also like scripts. However I am referring to serifs as opposed to scripts. Scripts do not have serifs. Serifs are on fonts like Times Roman, Cheltenham, Bodoni and such. The serif fonts were designed to make each character differentiate from another by using narrow and bold strokes along with the tiny serifs. Books, magazines and newspapers usually are printed with serif faces. Other literature such as used in advertising and others use sanserif typefaces like Helvetica and Ariel because they have a more uncluttered and stylish appearance.

8 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I built a gate for our home many years ago. I wanted something that would set it apart from other gates so I created a "window" at the top center and put a very large "S" in it. I did it in Times serif I think. I cut it out on my bandsaw. No breakage problems at all. I'm curious what it is that makes it difficult on a scroll saw.

Large serif typefaces like 72 point and larger are not a problem for me. It is the smaller sizes, 48 point and smaller that give me a problem. Takes a hell of a lot better scroller than me to cut them.