Excalibur on Craigslist

RabidAlien

To quote Foxfold, I'm "chuffed as mintballs" (I'm guessing this means "really excited")...found a 30" Excalibur with stand not too far from here.  Is there anything I should be asking or looking for with Excaliburs?  The picture of the boilerplate doesn't really show the serial well, but it was made in Canada somewhere.  Its been used....but I have no problems with used equipment.

3 minutes ago, RabidAlien said:

That one is WAYYY old. You can see how the motor is located under the saw rather than at the back. I'm not even sure you could buy parts for that one. Check with Ray Seymour at Seyco. If you can come up with a serial number that would be helpful too. Personally, I'd keep on looking.

1 minute ago, RabidAlien said:

Guy found it in a house he bought, fired it up and it runs.  Apparently the previous owner used it for scroll saw work that he used to make stuff he sold at art shows.

Well, if you can get it cheaper, maybe it's worth the trip. I just purchased an EX 21 in mint condition with a couple hundred dollars worth of blades for $300. Mine was made in 2011. I know that it's tough to let an Excalibur get away but I'd wait for the right one to come along.

I'm trying to get a better photo of the serial number so I can see when it was made.  I dont' mind older stuff (I'm using a Dremel 57-2 right now, go figure), and Excalibur is supposed to be one of those brands that you buy it and never have a second thought about it.  I guess the gamble is, do I spend $200 on a hope that it is in good working order or continue using pin-ended blades and hope that another Excalibur comes up? 

I hate gambling, either way.  Blah.

I'd pass.. Parts are very limited on those old ones.. There was someone on here that had one of those last year or two and something broke on it.. they ended up having to buy a new saw... 

Then again... those old saws was built very well.. so.. I guess it's a toss up.. I personally would wait for a newer one.. unless you're in need of a saw very soon.. other wise good deals .. better than that come on time to time.. just have to be patient and have cash when they come..

I bought my EX-21 last fall for 350 and it was still sealed in the box.. My Hawk 226 ultra came brand new in the box for $400.. so like I said... deals come around.. and I think one could do better than that.. unless you just can't wait it out.. I'd let it go.. if you must get it.. shoot them an offer.. 

Scroll saws are funny sellers.. I've sold my share of them.. and.. unless the person really knows scroll saws... ie many people will look at an old saw and think $200 for that? new at harbor freight they only cost about $100.. but they don't know that the used machine is built to last.. etc..  Believe this is why you see many higher end saws with a larger price tag sit online for a while.. unless they are super cheap deals.. there seems to be a scroll sawer in every town that knows what is what.. but he isn't buying unless its an awesome deal.. like me :)  LOL    

57 minutes ago, RabidAlien said:

Blah.  I was hoping this would be one of those finds that people talk about for years, one of those once-in-a-lifetime deals.  I'll hold off on it based on the age and unavailability of parts.  Thanks for the info!

Back to pin-ended blades it is.

Like I said in my reply... It's not a "BAD" deal.. but you could do better IF you wanted to wait it out.. If I was using a old pinned end blade saw and this came up.. I'd probably go take a look at it.. Keep in mind it's a old saw and may have a lot of miles on it... keepin mind that you may need to do some work on it.. Keep in mind that some parts are not available for it.. ( mostly electronics and the arms of the saw are obsolete ) but I think the main wear and tare parts are still available s I think they are still using the same parts on today's saws... but with that all said.. I'd probably at least look at it  if it's real close to you.. and make a test cut on it.. Maybe make an offer... OR.. wait it out a week or two.. then make an offer.. most people that sell stuff like this online will price a little high for the haggler type buyers to make their deals..

I'd go look take note of anything worn.. tell them well this & that is worn some and parts are no longer made for these older saws.. He put in his add that they are expensive saws.. but maybe he doesn't know how old it is.. and that parts are NLA.. Explain that to him.. and say the best offer you'd do is $100 - 125.. .. If it's in real nice shape.. maybe offer a little more.. pristine saw.. maybe don't need to haggle the price...

Things to look for.. I'm not real sure really on these old saws.. the obvious is to look at table wear to see how much it has been used.. make sure the saw holds good tension on the blade.. run the saw through the speed ranges to see that it functions as it should.. take note of wear on the little tension release lever at the front of the saw.. vibration and noise of coarse.. look for blade wobble while running etc..

11 minutes ago, jbrowning said:

It looks like the serial number is S300394190. This is the best I could do with the picture of it.

00p0p_1GI5ak7ALUl_1200x900-2.thumb.jpg.c24b5a944445b449f97b8e83e77e7dd5.jpg

The saws made in Sommerville was made for about 20 years.. starting in around 1982-3 ish.. so it's a old one.. I was thinking the real early ones was belt drive? and the speed changing was done by changing the belt to different pulleys.. But this one shows a Variable dial on it.. I actually would prefer the belt drive over direct drive.. due to the fact that you could throw a lot of different motors on it if a motor went out.. This looks to not be direct drive.. so I would think a electric motor shop could get one going should you have electrical control problems with it..

Edited by kmmcrafts

1 hour ago, RabidAlien said:

I shot him a text and said due to the age I'd be a taker at 100, but he's standing at 200.  Too far away to make a drive worth it unless it was a newer model.  I'd LOVE to have a 30", and love even more to get out from under pin-ended blades, but there's too many questions about it.

Well, if you have the means and a Home Depot card, go buy a brand new one. We opened a new HD account a couple of weeks ago and they gave us $100 credit immediately. That would make that saw pretty cheap. And if you want, you can put it on their payment plan where there's no interest for 18 months as long as you make the monthly payments. That's what I'd be doing.

I have the identical saw which I purchased new in 2000.This saw you're thinking of would be about the same age. Beautiful and high quality made saw. If this saw operates and runs smooth at all speeds and is in decent shape I wouldn't hesitate for a moment paying $200.00. This saw will out perform the best saws to date. I have yet to have an issue and would buy another at a heart beat if need be. If you are purchasing this saw check the condition of the motor brushes (unscrew the cap on each side of the motor). Any electric shop can have new ones made ($20.00 each). This is a very high quality and expensive motor. This is a belt driven saw so check condition of belt. Easy and not very expensive to replace.. Check blade clamps and the set screws. Adjustments to this saw are easy to make. If parts are needed a good machine shop can be of service. If this saw checks out decently you could save $$$ and it would serve you for many years. The one I have will easily out last me.