Something New To Me ( Inlay )

kmmcrafts

So just playing around in the shop and decided to try doing some inlay. 

I messed up though as I did several test cuttings to get the correct angle. Got real close and thought just a half degree would be about perfect. Problem was I moved it the wrong direction 😂.

Anyway it was a fun quick project and I can probably sand it down on the belt sander to get it matched up.  This is about 1/16 inch off. 

Gotta say the tilting head on the Excalibur is a nice feature. This really isn’t my first inlay but I’ve only done a couple other pieces about 13 years ago on a crap saw so it wasn’t as enjoyable. Lol

B2EC4189-A0CC-4364-8978-7EB4FB7712FA.jpeg

I have been playing with this recently. I mark the pattern with arrows.  I have tried putting blue tape with arrows on my Saw table, I seem to forget about them. Mark your pattern with direction arrows. Also think about where would be the most convenient place to start and mark that for drilling. 

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

It's a lot of fun isn't it?

Yes it sure is.. I run it on the belt sander tonight to get everything flat and smooth..  Not sure what I'll do with it now.. thinking of making a box and using it as a lid. 

Next thing I want to try is Intarsia.. never done any of that.. so I may try a small something next week.. just to try it and say I done that at least once, LOL

15 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Yes it sure is.. I run it on the belt sander tonight to get everything flat and smooth..  Not sure what I'll do with it now.. thinking of making a box and using it as a lid. 

Next thing I want to try is Intarsia.. never done any of that.. so I may try a small something next week.. just to try it and say I done that at least once, LOL

Intarsia was of interest to me until I realized how much sanding was involved. 

Edited by octoolguy

On 9/29/2018 at 8:59 AM, Roberta Moreton said:

"... Mark your pattern with direction arrows. ..."

I do a lot of inlay and find that to avoid confusion as to which direction to cut I just always keep the image I want, to the high side of the blade.  I tilt the table down on the left so I keep the image to the right of the blade with the wood to be inlaid, on the underside.  This is very important when doing lettering.1762402135_Baseballplayer.jpg.a7c5b896d06b6e6a0fbdc84a6d406beb.jpg

Not sure why but I most often cut in a counter clockwise direction.... so I thought it all out before tilting my table and drilled my entry hole accordingly.. I think I started cutting in this direction several years ago when I was making the collapsible baskets.. I do cut either direction.. just for some reason I typically just cut counter clock wise... maybe I'm just trying to unwind, 😂 

1 hour ago, rjweb said:

Jim,

so you are saying cut it counter clockwise and the inlay piece would push up from the bottom, correct. ?   RJ 

Yes.   The wood to be inlaid is placed on the bottom and pushes up to fit into the background.   I use a hot glue gun to hold these two pieces of wood together as I cut.

I do not like to use the terms clockwise or counterclockwise because people get confused with "turning the wood clockwise or the blade is traveling clockwise?"  Also when cutting the inside of some of the letters it can get very confusing as to which way to turn so I just keep the image to the right of my blade all the time. Never fails.

A box would be ideal for your inlay. I also want to give intarsia a try someday soon. My kitchen cabinets take top priority the wife wants them done by the middle of November. It took me 6 weeks when I built them the last time with so so equipment. This time I am going on four years 3 1/2 to get started and about 8 weeks of actual work. My wife can't understand why it is taking a long time. 

17 hours ago, Woodmaster1 said:

A box would be ideal for your inlay. I also want to give intarsia a try someday soon. My kitchen cabinets take top priority the wife wants them done by the middle of November. It took me 6 weeks when I built them the last time with so so equipment. This time I am going on four years 3 1/2 to get started and about 8 weeks of actual work. My wife can't understand why it is taking a long time. 

I'll just bet, from my own personal experience, that she has forgotten completely all the other tasks that she has asked you to do since her request to make new cabinets. And on that note, let me bring up something that has stuck in my craw for many, many years. My wife, bless her, asked me to make something for her kitchen one time. It required me walking back and forth from the garage into our home to get measurements and so on. The garage was connected to the house so there was no going outdoors. Anyway, she came down on me for "tracking" all that darned sawdust into her clean kitchen. That really ticked me off and I have never forgotten it. So, now when she asks me to make or do something that might require me to walk into the house, I tell her right up front that I will have to "track" dirt in because I'm not able to walk about it. Have any of you guys had any similar experiences? My wife is a "clean freak" and can't stand anything dusty, dirty or out of place. Sort of maddening at times.

My wife is the same. That's why there are never any metal chips around my lathe or mill. She keeps it all cleaned up. Whoever heard of a metal lathe without chips around? In my shop in the garage she sweeps and makes sure I wipe my feet off on a rug before entering the house. I grew up in a house where shoes were not allowed. People in our house take off their shoes. There are slippers under a bench at the entrance. I, however, draw the line. I wear my shoes. My wife being a sweetheart allows me.

9 minutes ago, Roberta Moreton said:

Two things:

1. I’m the wife, my house is dusty and I don’t care.

2. So when cutting the D would you start at the top of the D and go around the top to the right?

Does your hubby make sawdust too? It does make a difference. One side never would see the other side's view of things. 

2 hours ago, Roberta Moreton said:

Two things:

2. So when cutting the D would you start at the top of the D and go around the top to the right?

Okay so the direction you cut will vary by which direction you tilt the saw.. I really can't explain it in words since I don't do this on a regular basis and really know what I'm doing well.. I just tilted the table and looked at what way I needed to cut.. Trial and error on some scrap will let know what way you want to cut.. and is needed anyway to see how much angle you need for the size blade and thickness of wood.. 

Also depends upon which piece you want the inlay to go into.. You can set the angle and cut in the direction so that the bottom piece fits into the top or the other way around.. that is dependent on what direction you cut..

I hope I explained this in some way that you and others can understand.. Because in all honesty I just play around on scraps until I find what is going to work for the piece I'm working with.. 

4 hours ago, Roberta Moreton said:

Two things:

When I inlaid the name Derek  I start the D at the bottom center of the D and the rest I started at the very end of the word and when moving to the R  I just cut across to it and it is not noticed.

On 10/4/2018 at 1:58 PM, octoolguy said:

Does your hubby make sawdust too? It does make a difference. One side never would see the other side's view of things. 

He does not make sawdust. I wouldn’t mind explaining how to use a broom if he seems to want to know,