Live Edge Ash Finish ( Eagle Flag)

kmmcrafts

What’s a good finish for live edge fretwork? I cut this out today and plan to give it away in a drawing  later this month or next month. Not sure what type of backer I’ll be using yet. Plan to drill two holes at the top and use Suede rope as a hanger maybe. 

Anyway looking for finishing info. This live edge was cut from trees from my neighbors yard a couple years ago ( he has a hobby Sawmill from the 1800’s and fires it up from time to time ) . He typically gives me a lot of slabs to play with and I have lots of it. Lol  I tried to peel off the bark on the one side but it’s not coming off. Kind of wish I’d have left it on the other side but was too wide to go through my planer. 

Any finishing tips, backer tips, or other suggestions welcome as this is just a play around piece so I’m trying for unique one if a kind piece.  

E51334F6-0A1A-4542-AC7B-1EC544C3E6D1.jpeg

2 hours ago, JimErn said:

I use wipe on poly, semi gloss, on only the live edge.  One of those sponge brushes will get in all the cracks

That's what i was looking for.. something for the live edge.. I will probably coat the whole thing but first want to make the grain pop.. so may wipe it down good with Danish oil or I do have a little BLO / Mineral spirit mix left.. may use it.. was also thinking spray lacquer.. but actually I think the poly on the edges might be a better way..