DW788 Blade Tension Help

smitty0312

40 minutes ago, smitty0312 said:

I only can move my lever over between 1-2 before it acts like it's getting hung up or binding....can't move it past that spot.....is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the tension wedge that is way back in the upper arm is stuck. Either that or the tension lever itself is bound up. Either one is easy to fix if you are at all handy with tools. There are some great videos on youtube on how to disassemble the whole saw. It probably is a matter of taking it apart and cleaning and greasing the pieces that make up the tension mechanism. If you were closer to me, I'd do it for you. But sadly not to be. Try taking the blade out of the clamps and lifting up the upper arm. When you do that, are you able to move the tension lever a bit more? The mechanism is made up of a rod that connects to the lever and runs the length of the upper arm to a wedge clear at the back. That wedge slide back and forth to "lift" against the arm and put tension on the blade. Hard to explain. I can see it in my head but hard to put into words.

Edited by octoolguy

31 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

It sounds like the tension wedge that is way back in the upper arm is stuck. Either that or the tension lever itself is bound up. Either one is easy to fix if you are at all handy with tools. There are some great videos on youtube on how to disassemble the whole saw. It probably is a matter of taking it apart and cleaning and greasing the pieces that make up the tension mechanism. If you were closer to me, I'd do it for you. But sadly not to be. Try taking the blade out of the clamps and lifting up the upper arm. When you do that, are you able to move the tension lever a bit more? The mechanism is made up of a rod that connects to the lever and runs the length of the upper arm to a wedge clear at the back. That wedge slide back and forth to "lift" against the arm and put tension on the blade. Hard to explain. I can see it in my head but hard to put into words.

Thank you!! Will try that