Advice on Dewalt 10788

Bob Behling

If you can get a Dewalt 788 in decent condition, they are a very good saw for the money. I bought a very old type 1 used and it is still in use in my shop. They do have their inherent problems but nothing that can't be fixed with basic service in most cases. As long as the previous owner didn't pick it up by the upper arm and spring it out of it's normal place. That's the most common thing that I can think of. Put a blade in it, tension the blade and run it up and down the rpm range. If it doesn't "rattle" and shake itself to pieces, chances are that it'll be ok. But, don't pay too much for it. You should be able to pick up a decent one with stand and light for under $300. I paid $250. I see them all the time on Craigslist. Good luck. I just did a google search for that number and it is associated to the 10-788 utility knife. Not a saw. Where did you see that number?

I also googled those numbers.. My first thought was that back in the day.. several of the scroll saw manufactures use to use a prefix number before the main model number to indicate that the saw came as a package with stand and light... though I didn't find anything pertaining to that with this saw and number so I don't know if those numbers are correct... 

On another note... is those numbers actually  DW7880? If so that is the number for the DeWalt stand..

17 hours ago, octoolguy said:

If you can get a Dewalt 788 in decent condition, they are a very good saw for the money. I bought a very old type 1 used and it is still in use in my shop. They do have their inherent problems but nothing that can't be fixed with basic service in most cases. As long as the previous owner didn't pick it up by the upper arm and spring it out of it's normal place. That's the most common thing that I can think of. Put a blade in it, tension the blade and run it up and down the rpm range. If it doesn't "rattle" and shake itself to pieces, chances are that it'll be ok. But, don't pay too much for it. You should be able to pick up a decent one with stand and light for under $300. I paid $250. I see them all the time on Craigslist. Good luck. I just did a google search for that number and it is associated to the 10-788 utility knife. Not a saw. Where did you see that number?

1 hour ago, Bob Behling said:

How does the Dewalt 788 compare to a 20 year old Delta variable speed 20" which I presently have?

Well, not knowing what Delta saw you have and knowing that the Delta copy of the Dewalt is newer than 20 years, I'd have to say that there is a ton of difference. The Dewalt saw uses the same type mechanism as the Excalibur, Seyco and now the Jet. Lots of moving parts and pieces but if properly maintained, very smooth running. I have a Dewalt and an Excalibur. I love both of them. I tried a Hegner but didn't like the way it ran so I sold it. Like I said above, if you can buy the Dewalt in good condition and a good price, I'd recommend buying it. I think you will love it. Kevin here on SSV is an avid user of them and he buys and stockpiles used ones just to cannibalize them for parts. Not saying they go bad but just to have a ready source of pieces in case his primary saw goes down. Buying a used one just for the motor is not a bad idea if you can pick it up cheap. I just responded to an ad on Craigslist for a Dewalt for $100. The odd thing is though, the table is missing. How do you lose a table? I offered him $25 for it but he said no. It's been listed now for going on 3 weeks. I'll wait another week and try him again. Depending on where you are located, there are a lot of good used saws on Craigslist in my area (So Cal) all the time. So far, I've bought 3 and sold one. 

If you happen to have a Delta P-20.. Those was awesome saws from what I've heard.. How it compares to a DeWalt? I can't say because I have no personal experience with the P-20 other than drooling over them in the show room floor back when they was new.. Those things was a tank.. but how they compare to a DeWalt.. there are a lot of variables.. one being..the P-20 is by now getting to be quite old.. many parts have been obsolete now for a few years... Parts for a DeWalt are still available... Believe the P-20 was not a true variable speed saw but had many speeds to choose from... which isn't a big deal to a lot of people.. most probably pick their speed and never change it much after that anyway.. and the DeWalt is variable speed..  

When I first started scrolling, I briefly had the use of a Delta Q3, which, I believe was the predecessor to the P-20.  I vaguely remember using it and really liking it.  When I upgraded my Craftsman, back in the late 90's, I debated whether to go with the DeWalt or the Delta.  About that time, as I recall, Delta discontinued the Q3 and replaced it with the P-20.  I really wanted variable speed and didn't care for the belt & pulley system of the P-20, so I went with the DeWalt and never really looked back.  I remember the Delta blade clamps being unique, but once you got the hang of them, they were great.  Also, I could get more tension on the Q3 than I ever could get on any other saw I ever used.  It's my belief that blades cut better and lasted longer on that saw because of the tension that could be applied. 

3 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

When I first started scrolling, I briefly had the use of a Delta Q3, which, I believe was the predecessor to the P-20.  I vaguely remember using it and really liking it.  When I upgraded my Craftsman, back in the late 90's, I debated whether to go with the DeWalt or the Delta.  About that time, as I recall, Delta discontinued the Q3 and replaced it with the P-20.  I really wanted variable speed and didn't care for the belt & pulley system of the P-20, so I went with the DeWalt and never really looked back.  I remember the Delta blade clamps being unique, but once you got the hang of them, they were great.  Also, I could get more tension on the Q3 than I ever could get on any other saw I ever used.  It's my belief that blades cut better and lasted longer on that saw because of the tension that could be applied. 

I actually bet the blades lasted longer the way the blade has that rocking motion .. the Q3 is a C arm saw and they are quite aggressive cutting.. The DeWalt and EX types saws also have some rocking motion.. My blades last a little longer on the DeWalt and EX than they do on the Hawk... 

My present saw is a Delta 40-640 Type 2 vs. How would you rate that saw compared to a DW788?.Owner of the 788 claims he has picked up the saw from the  arm. Was not aware of the issue. I have not seen the saw, but had him put a blade in it and run it at various speeds and claims there are no issues.  Am purchasing it with lite and stand  with the agreement I can return if not satisfied. Saw is about 10 years old with very little use. In the event the saw is out of alignment, how hard is it to fix? Hopefully the 788 is an upgrade? If not could either return or sell.

Have I missed where you posted the price? If the price is right, and it works ok when tested, having been lifted by the upper arm may not be a problem. It's just not advisable to do that. Give it a test run. If you can get it for under $250 or so, go for it. Everything is still available for the saws but more than likely you won't have to buy anything. If you are at all mechanically gifted, you will be able to tear it down and put it together very easily. These saws are basically indestructible. About the only thing that might cost more than it's worth to replace would be the motor.

Yes the DeWalt would be an upgrade over the Delta 40-640 type2.. Nothing against the Delta saw.. it's exactly what I started out with.. as it was given to me by my dad when he wore it out.. I rebuilt the saw in 2007.. and many of the parts was discontinued way back then.. It took a lot of persistence but I found all the parts needed... actually found a guy that bought out a bunch of deltas parts.. he has a web site call Mikestools.com.. he still has many many old parts.. though some aren't so cheap.. but he does have a lot of stuff that no one else does.. He actually had the circuit board I needed for my jointer.. but I wasn't paying the price for it and just wired it direct.. 

Anyway, I still have the old Delta.. all restored.. and I never use it.. won't sell it as it was my fathers saw and just kind of a sentimental piece that I hang onto.. I do use it from time to time..