A3, A4, etc.

John B

G'day every one.
When I cut a portrait I use the sizing A4, A3 ..... This refers to the paper which I printed the pattern on and hence the size of the scrolled piece.
The "A" designation for paper sizes is standard in Australia, and I believe Europe and Britain. I'm not sure of the rest of the world.
Below is diagram of the sizes.

Cheers

John

a-series-paper-sizes-1-full.jpg

1 hour ago, John B said:

G'day every one.
When I cut a portrait I use the sizing A4, A3 ..... This refers to the paper which I printed the pattern on and hence the size of the scrolled piece.
The "A" designation for paper sizes is standard in Australia, and I believe Europe and Britain. I'm not sure of the rest of the world.
Below is diagram of the sizes.

Cheers

John

a-series-paper-sizes-1-full.jpg

Thanks John, but it would have been much more meaningful if I didn't have to figure out what all those "mm" equate to. What size is 8 1/2" x 11"?

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks John, but it would have been much more meaningful if I didn't have to figure out what all those "mm" equate to. What size is 8 1/2" x 11"?

Ray,
8 1/2" = 217mm  11" = 281mm  About 1/4" wider and 7/16" shorter than an A4
When we changed to metric I was in the second year of my apprenticeship.  It was confusing for awhile, but once I got the than of it it was much easier than the imperial.
Mind you I still think in feet and inches and like to have a metric/imperial tape measure handy ;)

You know that chart is helpful to me as all the printers I've ever owned never say the paper size in inches... it's always these letter/number combos.. and I hate that because I don't never know which is what.. My printer is the big one.. that will do the big sheets.. My kids and wife laugh at me when I brought this new printer home.. I never thought about the physical size of the printer and I have a very small desk...  Anyway.. I set the printer up on my desk and it takes up more than half the space.. good thing I have one of those small monitors because this printer has me squeezed into the corner with barely enough room for my monitor.. I don't like the keyboard down on the little tray so it sets up on top of the desk in front of the monitor.. anyway.. very cramped for space.. but at least I can print those large patterns on one sheet of paper... Now that I bought the big printer.. I rarely do portrait type work.. so that make this even more funny cause I really don't need it anymore..😂  

Oh and the mm's is much nicer to work with for me when designing my own patterns.. because I have no idea how to convert 1-7/16 or the other clock sizes into a decimal.. math was never a strong point for me.. good with basic math but doing the fractions and whatnot I struggle with.. somehow the metric system is easier for me in designing patterns.. though I have no idea how they convert to inches etc.. LOL

Edited by kmmcrafts

To convert "inches to metric" or "metric to inches",  Google (number examples) "convert 400 mm to inches.  Same for convert inches to metric.

To turn a fraction to into a decimal number, divide the small number by the large number.  For example 5/8.  Take 5 & divide by 8.  Result is .625

jerry

1 hour ago, jerry1939 said:

To convert "inches to metric" or "metric to inches",  Google (number examples) "convert 400 mm to inches.  Same for convert inches to metric.

To turn a fraction to into a decimal number, divide the small number by the large number.  For example 5/8.  Take 5 & divide by 8.  Result is .625

jerry

. Trying to figure out how many balusters and the spacing between them was not an easy task until I found the formula online. I ended up having to make an extra 21 of them to have enough. I spaced them closer together to keep our cats from walking through them. Anyway, thanks John for your chart. I will print it and save it on my wall.

Metrics drive crazy. When I was more actively machining all my machinery was in inches. All my measuring instruments were in inches. Now, however, with digital mikes and calipers they will convert back and forth. I prefer dial indicators over digital. My small mill has three axis DROs so that eliminates the problem of converting.