Height of 'slope' on saw.

Foxfold

Sorry, I know I've asked this before but cannot for the life of me find the thread. My hubby asked this morning if I still wanted my saw tilted. He said he thinks most of you use a 4x2  to tilt, but as I say I cannot find where it was written.  May I ask once again how much you all 'tilt' your saw.  Thank you for your patience.. Brenda xx

11 minutes ago, stoney said:

There is no hard and fast rule on saw tilt.   I would just experiment and see what feels the most comfortable to you.   You could start with the a 2x4 and adjust to your comfort level.

That sounds eminently simple. Thank you, I'll go and experiment as you say.

My DeWalt stand is adjustable.. I do not know what each of the slots are in height.. I have mine on the highest level though.. I tried to raise my other saws but found they pick up more vibration being tilted.. I'm sure if I really looked into it I could get them smoothed out with some tweaking.. Guess it just was never that important to me... Do like them tilted though.. My DeWalt is the most comfortable saw to sit at if I am running it for a long period of time.. 

I have mine on a 2 x 4 and a 3/4" piece of ply.  Can't see in in this pic.  I'd suggest once you find the right angle bolt to machine down to the stand and add weight to reduce vibration.  I have 140 lb's of sand, two lights and a magnifying lens on a homemade cart...

Larry

image.thumb.png.8fbd72352b528aa7d54f25cf5a7dffde.png

Edited by Larry B

5 hours ago, Foxfold said:

Sorry, I know I've asked this before but cannot for the life of me find the thread. My hubby asked this morning if I still wanted my saw tilted. He said he thinks most of you use a 4x2  to tilt, but as I say I cannot find where it was written.  May I ask once again how much you all 'tilt' your saw.  Thank you for your patience.. Brenda xx

so that it is totally adjustable to my comfort. That way, when I find the right tilt, I just mark where that board is. At some point in the future, I may permanently attach it so that it stays there. So far, I'm not sure where I want it. 

20180908_112851.jpg

Edited by octoolguy

5 minutes ago, Foxfold said:

I don't have a 'stand' for my saw, it's on a bench, so I'm going to try and put a piece of 2x4 under the saw itself.  It's bolted to the bench and hubby says he can raise the back with a piece of 2x4 and bolt it all to the bench. Has anyone done this before ?

new workshop2.jpg

I have done this exact same thing with my Dewalt. I have the 4x2 on its side so the rear is only raised 2".

2 hours ago, Foxfold said:

I don't have a 'stand' for my saw, it's on a bench, so I'm going to try and put a piece of 2x4 under the saw itself.  It's bolted to the bench and hubby says he can raise the back with a piece of 2x4 and bolt it all to the bench. Has anyone done this before ?

new workshop2.jpg

I would bolt it to a board that can be clamped to or bolted to the bench. But if you want it tilted it would be easier to tilt the entire saw on a board and keep it more solidly mounted.

7 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I would bolt it to a board that can be clamped to or bolted to the bench. But if you want it tilted it would be easier to tilt the entire saw on a board and keep it more solidly mounted.

Thanks, I'll tell him what you said, hopefully it will all be good. He's an engineer and master carpenter so hopefully nothing will go wrong.  I'm going to try various 'tilts' and see what I feel comfortable with.