A few updates to the workshop

jbrowning

1 minute ago, kmmcrafts said:

Does your Fein have a variable speed? I talked with the Festool Rep during a demo of their vac.. and it had a variable speed or quiet mode so to speak.. and the vac was quieter on the low setting.. which still had quite a lot of suction.. I often wondered how much that would affect the noise with the 3/4" piping.. I'm planning to purchase a vac soon.. and I see some of the Fein vacs have the lower speed as well.. just wondered if yours does and if it helps to reduce the noise.. 

No Kevin. It only has the manual/auto option on the switch. Mine is the older model that was still made in the original plant. I think that was in Italy but I won't swear to it. The vac is very quiet so I really think if I can get the noise at the pick up point to be quieter, it will be the best way to go. I'm going to do some experimenting with what I have now on my Dewalt to see if it helps. A trip to H/D to get some pvc fittings is in my future. I just have to figure out what I need. In order to use the original hose end, I had to adapt it to a "soft" fitting that could be squeezed down with a clamp. I'm going to see if I can come up with a larger fitting that the hose end will fit inside of that doesn't "neck" it down. Then into larger pvc piping that I can heat and bend to get it to the upper and lower points where needed. I know that pvc can be heated and bent but I have to find a way that doesn't allow the pvc to kink or neck down. I might try filling it with sand or something like that. Maybe rice.

16 minutes ago, jbrowning said:

I used a propane torch to soften up the end of my Tee PVC pipe then was able to fit the end of my 2" hose into it and then cooled it down with running it under tap water. That is the brown pieces of pvc pipe you see at the tee adapter. Not pretty but it works.

When you heated the pvc up to soften it, what did you use to "swedge" the opening to the size you needed? I would have to think it would have been too hot to use the plastic vac hose. Or did you do that?

Hey Ray, my shop vac came with a hard plastic tube that is the same sized opening as the shop vac hose. I just heated up the pvc and when it soften up, I just pressed the end of the hard plastic tube into it, then cooled it off with the running tap water then pulled out the hard plastic tube and pushed in the shop vac hose and it was okey dokey.....for me. Like I said it ain't pretty but it is functional and that is what matters to me.

Here is the link to the shop vac I picked up and below the hose in the picture you can see that two tubes that I use one of.

Shop Vac

Edited by jbrowning

3 minutes ago, jbrowning said:

Hey Ray, my shop vac came with a hard plastic tube that is the same sized opening as the shop vac hose. I just heated up the pvc and when it soften up, I just pressed the end of the hard plastic tube into it, then cooled it off with the running tap water then pulled out the hard plastic tube and pushed in the shop vac hose and it was okey dokey.....for me. Like I said it ain't pretty but it is functional and that is what matters to me.

Something that functions successfully doesn't have to be pretty. You can always sand and paint and nobody will ever know.