3 D Cutting

rustynail

9 minutes ago, rustynail said:

When cutting 3-d patterns does it matter what side you cut first?

Yes in some cases. If the pattern is symmetrical probably not but I have been cutting this pattern and there was a definite order to cut in. On the side that I would call the front, I drilled the round hole first, then I cut the inclosed areas. Then I turned it over to the side and cut the long sides. Once that was done, I came back to the front and cut the outer lines. If I had tried to do it any other way, it would have been very difficult to keep it all together.

2018-09-12_1634.png

Edited by octoolguy

7 minutes ago, rustynail said:

Ray thanks for the tips. This is the first time trying a 3-D pattern, but they are just a simple design as they are profiles of human body's.

Richard 

It really comes down to taking a good look at what you will be cutting and thinking about keeping it all together. Believe me, I'm no expert but I'm sure getting an education on this project. I told my wife that it is a "one off" and she shouldn't be wanting any more like it. Actually, the biggest problem I have encountered on it is the wood that was called for in the pattern. I switched wood types and things are going much better.

I have never had an issue cutting one side vs another.  Though in the above design I would properly cut the complex side first.  What is most important when cutting projects like these is keeping ALL the pieces in place until you have cut everything.  For my compound pieces like above I always piece the piece in a holder.  It keeps it together and provides stability and areas to gripe to prevent your hand from getting hit on the down stoke.  After cutting the one profile I would wrap with clear tape or even "scotch tape" before cutting the other profile.

7 hours ago, NC Scroller said:

I have never had an issue cutting one side vs another.  Though in the above design I would properly cut the complex side first.  What is most important when cutting projects like these is keeping ALL the pieces in place until you have cut everything.  For my compound pieces like above I always piece the piece in a holder.  It keeps it together and provides stability and areas to gripe to prevent your hand from getting hit on the down stoke.  After cutting the one profile I would wrap with clear tape or even "scotch tape" before cutting the other profile.

I had to tape more than once in this particular pattern. I used a clamp as you suggested too. I practiced on cheap pine for 3 of them and then moved into the red cedar. That's when I found out that there are more than one kind of cedar. What I bought was multicolored and where the colors came together, I kept getting breaks and separations. I switched over to African mahogany and have cut 4 so far with no problems. Only 4 to go. It's been fun but aggravating too.

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

I had to tape more than once in this particular pattern. I used a clamp as you suggested too. I practiced on cheap pine for 3 of them and then moved into the red cedar. That's when I found out that there are more than one kind of cedar. What I bought was multicolored and where the colors came together, I kept getting breaks and separations. I switched over to African mahogany and have cut 4 so far with no problems. Only 4 to go. It's been fun but aggravating too.

Cedar is brittle and heat makes it worse. Reduce your saw speed.  Forget pine.  Because of grain patterns it is really not a great compound cut wood.  Try poplar or even basswood  if available.  

1 hour ago, NC Scroller said:

Cedar is brittle and heat makes it worse. Reduce your saw speed.  Forget pine.  Because of grain patterns it is really not a great compound cut wood.  Try poplar or even basswood  if available.  

I was only using the pine for practice. I had a scrap the right size so I chopped it into a half dozen pieces and glued up some patterns. I got pretty good practice out of it. Much better than the cedar. I won't be using cedar anytime again soon. Thanks for your input. I really do appreciate all the help and advice.