3-D People Book End Project

rustynail

43 minutes ago, NC Scroller said:

That pattern was in one of the scroll saw magazines.  Scroll Saw Wood Craft issue 34 spring 2009.

@Foxfold Brenda, based on the information provided by Scott, you can order that back issue from Fox Chapel Publishing's Website here:

https://foxchapelpublishing.com/scroll-saw-woodworking-crafts-issue-34-spring-2009.html

Presently, they are having a sale on back issues at $2 each if you order 5 or more using the Promo Code: SSW2Dollars.  I do not know how long that will last. You will also have to pay shipping costs in addition.  However, that is still a great deal on back issues that usually are I believe $7.99 each plus shipping.

Edited by meflick

5 hours ago, meflick said:

@Foxfold Brenda, based on the information provided by Scott, you can order that back issue from Fox Chapel Publishing's Website here:

https://foxchapelpublishing.com/scroll-saw-woodworking-crafts-issue-34-spring-2009.html

Presently, they are having a sale on back issues at $2 each if you order 5 or more using the Promo Code: SSW2Dollars.  I do not know how long that will last. You will also have to pay shipping costs in addition.  However, that is still a great deal on back issues that usually are I believe $7.99 each plus shipping.

If it was offered in one of their magazines, wouldn't it be public domain? I would think if someone here has the pattern, they could share it with anyone. Am I wrong?

54 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

If it was offered in one of their magazines, wouldn't it be public domain? I would think if someone here has the pattern, they could share it with anyone. Am I wrong?

First, let me say, I am not a practicing attorney, never practiced copyright law but I do know the  answer to your question. 😉 I provide it here to respond to your specific question as I understand it, not to cause any debate or problems. There is always “gray” areas that are best answered by people well versed in such areas. They usually charge big bucks to do so. 😉

The simple answer is No, just because something is printed in a magazine, on a blog, etc. it does not lose its copyright protection. Copyright protections last a really long time too.  If you check most magazines, they will show a copyright to the publishing company to the content in that magazine. As a result, “legally” it would be a copyright violation to make a copy of a pattern from a book or a magazine and give it to someone else. What they can do, if they wanted, is sell or give the book or used magazine to you BUT if they do, they cannot make a copy of the pattern and keep it for themselves.  If they did, it would still be a violation.

See these answers from an attorney who practices law regularly in this area:

“Can I make a copy of a pattern for a friend?

No. This would specifically be infringement because you are copying the work to deprive the author of a sale. You should have your friend buy a copy of the pattern for him/herself.”

“If I own a copy of a pattern (such as from a magazine), can I post the pattern on my blog?”

“No. The ownership of the magazine or other print is really just ownership of a physical copy, as opposed to ownership of the actual copyright. The owner of the copyright is the only person or entity that can rightfully make a copy of the copyrighted work. Entities that purchase the copyright for a work from others own the copyright just as if they were the original owners.”

Can I post a copy of a pattern on my blog or on the Internet even if I do not intend to sell it?

No, you can’t post the pattern or the magazine photograph of the completed garment. The right of “display” is an express right reserved to the copyright holder. Furthermore, you could be facilitating infringement by others as any screen can be captured on the Internet.

Can I photocopy my purchased pattern?

Yes, you can photocopy it for your own use, but no, you cannot copy it for others or to sell it. The line here is pretty clear: You can make copies of your purchase—that is, the physical item—for yourself because you purchased a “copy”; but you cannot make another copy for use by others or sell another copy. You can sell your purchased copy or give it to another as long as you then destroy your own copy.

Found here: http://www.vogueknitting.com/magazine/article_archive/a_matter_of_principle

another good place to read up is here: 

http://craftsandcopyrights.com/faq.html#16

Edited by meflick

20 hours ago, Foxfold said:

OMG, I was just talking about this today, I've tried everything to find this pattern and it's always eluded me. May I ask where you got the pattern from ? Feel free to say 'No', I just can't believe the coincidence 🙂 

It's beautiful, your cutting is great 💕

scroll_saw_woodworking_crafts_issue_34_s

This pattern is called “ Opposing Forces Bookends”. The creators of this pattern are Fred and Julie Byrne. They live in Cambridgeshire, England and it seems that their web site no longer works? In review it also does seem hard to find their patterns. I got this one out of a copy of Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts Magazine Issue 34 spring 2009. They still sell them at Fox Chapel Publishing and the code # is SSW34 / price $7.00. They had a sale not too long ago on all back issues and I picked up a couple of different old ones that seemed interesting and the “Opposing Forces Bookends” seemed kind of cool so I got it. I made mine out of pine and black walnut.

Let me know if you need anything else or if you can’t get one from them. 

Edited by rustynail

3 hours ago, spirithorse said:

Greetings,

Steve Good has a similar pattern here http://www.stevedgood.com/bookends.pdf 

but, it is not a compound cut/3D pattern.
God Bless! Spirithorse

I love Steve Good works and all that he does for the craft but In my opinion  the 3-D pattern really make a differance. 

4 hours ago, meflick said:

First, let me say, I am not a practicing attorney, never practiced copyright law but I do know the  answer to your question. 😉 I provide it here to respond to your specific question as I understand it, not to cause any debate or problems. There is always “gray” areas that are best answered by people well versed in such areas. They usually charge big bucks to do so. 😉

The simple answer is No, just because something is printed in a magazine, on a blog, etc. it does not lose its copyright protection. Copyright protections last a really long time too.  If you check most magazines, they will show a copyright to the publishing company to the content in that magazine. As a result, “legally” it would be a copyright violation to make a copy of a pattern from a book or a magazine and give it to someone else. What they can do, if they wanted, is sell or give the book or used magazine to you BUT if they do, they cannot make a copy of the pattern and keep it for themselves.  If they did, it would still be a violation.

See these answers from an attorney who practices law regularly in this area:

“Can I make a copy of a pattern for a friend?

No. This would specifically be infringement because you are copying the work to deprive the author of a sale. You should have your friend buy a copy of the pattern for him/herself.”

“If I own a copy of a pattern (such as from a magazine), can I post the pattern on my blog?”

“No. The ownership of the magazine or other print is really just ownership of a physical copy, as opposed to ownership of the actual copyright. The owner of the copyright is the only person or entity that can rightfully make a copy of the copyrighted work. Entities that purchase the copyright for a work from others own the copyright just as if they were the original owners.”

Can I post a copy of a pattern on my blog or on the Internet even if I do not intend to sell it?

No, you can’t post the pattern or the magazine photograph of the completed garment. The right of “display” is an express right reserved to the copyright holder. Furthermore, you could be facilitating infringement by others as any screen can be captured on the Internet.

Can I photocopy my purchased pattern?

Yes, you can photocopy it for your own use, but no, you cannot copy it for others or to sell it. The line here is pretty clear: You can make copies of your purchase—that is, the physical item—for yourself because you purchased a “copy”; but you cannot make another copy for use by others or sell another copy. You can sell your purchased copy or give it to another as long as you then destroy your own copy.

Found here: http://www.vogueknitting.com/magazine/article_archive/a_matter_of_principle

another good place to read up is here: 

http://craftsandcopyrights.com/faq.html#16

Thanks for doing the due diligence on this subject. I don't dispute that you are more than likely correct but I was wondering if you went to a library and checked out the magazine and it still had all the patterns inside of it, would that not be the same thing? I'm not arguing, just trying to get the whole thing clear in my mind. I don't mind buying the magazine but if I already had it and let a friend borrow it, what would happen if he made a copy for his own use. Not to sell but to just use. 

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks for doing the due diligence on this subject. I don't dispute that you are more than likely correct but I was wondering if you went to a library and checked out the magazine and it still had all the patterns inside of it, would that not be the same thing? I'm not arguing, just trying to get the whole thing clear in my mind. I don't mind buying the magazine but if I already had it and let a friend borrow it, what would happen if he made a copy for his own use. Not to sell but to just use. 

Ray, here is what that same first article says in regards to copying something from a library book (or magazine in the library):

Can I copy knitting patterns from a library book?

Libraries and archives are authorized under the copyright law to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction of a copyrighted work, but one of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a library user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction of library materials for purposes in excess of “fair use,” he or she may be liable for copyright infringement. Therefore, you should treat the library book under loan as a book you own and not copy the book to the extent that would exceed fair use. Remember that one argument for your having exceeded fair use is that you deprive the author/creator of a sale by making a copy. So when you copy one or more patterns from a book, you need to reasonably say that you would not have otherwise purchased the book to get the copies.

In the end, is anyone going to know if someone sent you a copy, or if you gave someone a copy, or if you found the magazine or a book in the library and copied one or all of the patterns. Of course not, unless you are that person who gave it to you said so. But, if people don’t buy the magazine, it eventually goes under and then there are no more magazines and patterns. Same for artists who make their living creating and selling patterns, if everyone copies and gives away the patterns, they will eventually stop creating them. As a result, if possible, like in this case, if the magazine/pattern can still be purchased from the original source, it is good to provide proper links to it as we did here so someone can choose to obtain it there or not. That way, we all continue to have the magazines and artists who create patterns for us to use.

Most magazines have multiple patterns in them so the “cost” per pattern is probably nickels or dimes at best. Pennies when you can get a back issue for a couple bucks. When I have purchased patterns, most of them are Intarsia patterns, and they cost around $10 or so each. Money I deem to be well spent for the patterns I receive. That doesn’t mean I don’t like getting free patterns, I do and I appreciate those who create them and give them away like the great pattern makers here in the Village and Steve Good. Most of those who choose not to “sell” their work I suspect is that because to them, it’s not worth the headaches and hassles of doing so - including trying to enforce copyrights. Others do it, like here on the village, probably because they enjoy the process and helping out fellow scrollers. When I have done so, it is for that reason.

Edited by meflick

3 hours ago, meflick said:

Ray, here is what that same first article says in regards to copying something from a library book (or magazine in the library):

Can I copy knitting patterns from a library book?

Libraries and archives are authorized under the copyright law to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction of a copyrighted work, but one of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a library user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction of library materials for purposes in excess of “fair use,” he or she may be liable for copyright infringement. Therefore, you should treat the library book under loan as a book you own and not copy the book to the extent that would exceed fair use. Remember that one argument for your having exceeded fair use is that you deprive the author/creator of a sale by making a copy. So when you copy one or more patterns from a book, you need to reasonably say that you would not have otherwise purchased the book to get the copies.

In the end, is anyone going to know if someone sent you a copy, or if you gave someone a copy, or if you found the magazine or a book in the library and copied one or all of the patterns. Of course not, unless you are that person who gave it to you said so. But, if people don’t buy the magazine, it eventually goes under and then there are no more magazines and patterns. Same for artists who make their living creating and selling patterns, if everyone copies and gives away the patterns, they will eventually stop creating them. As a result, if possible, like in this case, if the magazine/pattern can still be purchased from the original source, it is good to provide proper links to it as we did here so someone can choose to obtain it there or not. That way, we all continue to have the magazines and artists who create patterns for us to use.

Most magazines have multiple patterns in them so the “cost” per pattern is probably nickels or dimes at best. Pennies when you can get a back issue for a couple bucks. When I have purchased patterns, most of them are Intarsia patterns, and they cost around $10 or so each. Money I deem to be well spent for the patterns I receive. That doesn’t mean I don’t like getting free patterns, I do and I appreciate those who create them and give them away like the great pattern makers here in the Village and Steve Good. Most of those who choose not to “sell” their work I suspect is that because to them, it’s not worth the headaches and hassles of doing so - including trying to enforce copyrights. Others do it, like here on the village, probably because they enjoy the process and helping out fellow scrollers. When I have done so, it is for that reason.

Makes sense to me. Thanks.