2.5 weeks, 600+ holes

munzieb

Beautiful box.  I notice on the first one, no scallops around the lid and bottom.  Are the scallops your addition?  both are beautiful, just curious.  And the third box, is the pattern for that in the same book?  I must confess, any of those boxes would have taken me 2.5 months to complete.  Beautiful!!

29 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Beautiful box.  I notice on the first one, no scallops around the lid and bottom.  Are the scallops your addition?  both are beautiful, just curious.  And the third box, is the pattern for that in the same book?  I must confess, any of those boxes would have taken me 2.5 months to complete.  Beautiful!!

On the 1st box, I was a little short on the width of the wood so I dropped the scallops. On the 3rd box, I think it was a Sue Mey pattern. I'll have to check my pattern folder and let you know.

2 minutes ago, JimErn said:

Beautiful work.

What do you use to inset the hinges?  router then a chisel, or just chisel, or ...

Jim, I get my hinges from Woodcraft. They are 1/8th thick at the hinge barrel. I can cut out the recess on the scroll saw if I assemble the box frame after setting the hinges but since I wanted the lower base flush and it has the 4 tongues, I wanted to make sure the 4 sides would sit flush to the base. I used the super fine saw that comes with my Ex-acto  to set the sides of the hinge and cut down to the approx. depth I needed and then roughly trimmed out the recess with the scroll saw. Then I assembled the box frame flush to the base and CA/Pinnailed just the sides. ( not gluing to the base) Since the 4 sides of the top of the box were not flush, I got close on the belt sander. I have a 1/4" piece of tempered glass with sand paper that is taped down and lapped the top flush. (marking all edges with a white pencil until all lines disappeared) I have a fine rasp about the width of the hinge and got it down to the correct height. Here is where the 2 sided tape comes in handy. I position the hinge over the tape in the recess and use a my smallest hinge centering drill bit to just start/mark the the holes and then predrill all the screw holes with a finer drill bit. I wax all the screws and tap into holes.  I remove the screw from the box frame and keep the tape in place. I lay out the position of the hinges on the top and apply a piece of 2 sided tape to the top of the hinges. I put the top down on the bench and position the box frame on my reference marks and press down on the frame. I use a small scraper to hold down the hinge barrel to the inside of the top and lift it off of the box frame and the hinges stay on the top.  I use the same procedure to mark and drill the holes but since the top is only 1/4" thick and  don't want them to pop through, I only drill 3/16 deep and tape mark the drill bit. I pre tap the holes with wax again until they stop. The screws that come with the hinge are 1/4". I use a vice grip and grind them down on the grinder to the right length. This all sounds a little tedious but once the technique is established,  it all goes pretty quick. MSG me if you have any questions. I may need to eventually video this procedure.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I tried some hinges like that, maybe your source has better ones, but what I had trouble with is the screw head did not fit flush into the hinge.  The relief in the hinge was not deep enough it seems to allow the head to flush fit down.  The one's you buy do not seem to have that issue do they?

2 hours ago, JimErn said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I tried some hinges like that, maybe your source has better ones, but what I had trouble with is the screw head did not fit flush into the hinge.  The relief in the hinge was not deep enough it seems to allow the head to flush fit down.  The one's you buy do not seem to have that issue do they?

Jim, These are V1800 or N211-193 Hinges and the screws fit flush. I have bought from Woodcraft in the past but after looking around, there are several venders at a lower price. I also use the 96mm stop piano hinges. The box I made allows for the top to stop the top since it hits the back. The piano hinges have a stop built in that stops at 110 degree and precludes needing a chain to stop the lid. 

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/stanley-solid-brass-miniature-narrow-hinge-3-4-long-x-5-8-open-w-screws-2-pair

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/small-piano-hinge-brass-plated-96mm-x-7mm

20191118_075543.jpg

20191118_081245.jpg

20191118_081257.jpg