Pegas Blade clamps

OzarkSawdust

Your question has been talked about quite a bit here Gary. But, the long and short of it is, most of us who have changed over to the Pegas clamps have sung the accolades. A couple of folks have had negative experiences but not enough to say "don't buy them". I put them on my EX21 and what little bit of vibration I had, went away. And they are far superior to the factory clamping/tensioning mechanism. I bought mine from QTE.com in So. Cal.

Maybe I'm dense, but other than the lighter weight and potential for less vibration and wear, how are these better than OEM Excalibur clamps, specifically?

Judging from images on supplier's websites, they look very similar to EX clamps, in their overall construction.  They still use a thumbscrew to hold the blade.  The tensioning lever is pretty much the same.  I understand that everyone who has them, raves about them, but I see no real functional difference between the Pegas and the EX clamps.  Could someone please explain why they are so much better than OEM Excalibur clamps, beyond the weight and theoretical reduced vibration?

I don't mean to come off as a skeptic, but for $90, I'd like some more specifics about how these clamps are going to provide an instant and tangible improvement to my saw.

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

Maybe I'm dense, but other than the lighter weight and potential for less vibration and wear, how are these better than OEM Excalibur clamps, specifically?

Judging from images on supplier's websites, they look very similar to EX clamps, in their overall construction.  They still use a thumbscrew to hold the blade.  The tensioning lever is pretty much the same.  I understand that everyone who has them, raves about them, but I see no real functional difference between the Pegas and the EX clamps.  Could someone please explain why they are so much better than OEM Excalibur clamps, beyond the weight and theoretical reduced vibration?

I don't mean to come off as a skeptic, but for $90, I'd like some more specifics about how these clamps are going to provide an instant and tangible improvement to my saw.

Thanks.

Simplified mechanism, no nylon screw to wear out. Just a better design and much more compact. JMHO.

4 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Your question has been talked about quite a bit here Gary. But, the long and short of it is, most of us who have changed over to the Pegas clamps have sung the accolades. A couple of folks have had negative experiences but not enough to say "don't buy them". I put them on my EX21 and what little bit of vibration I had, went away. And they are far superior to the factory clamping/tensioning mechanism. I bought mine from QTE.com in So. Cal.

I took your advise and tried QTE. Ordered a gross of #3s & #5s and a couple doz. #1s...on Sat 11/16...they were in yesterday's mail...Mon 11/18...in Missouri! That's fast!!

12 minutes ago, OzarkSawdust said:

I took your advise and tried QTE. Ordered a gross of #3s & #5s and a couple doz. #1s...on Sat 11/16...they were in yesterday's mail...Mon 11/18...in Missouri! That's fast!!

They are the best. If all of the suppliers were as diligent as QTE is, we'd be in tall cotton.

I just ordered my second set of Pegas blade clamps from QTE yesterday. I have a set on my Seyco and will be putting these on my EX. Love them.I also ordered a couple gross #3 modified geometry blades and a couple sets of swivel ends for the thumb screws. Richard said that Pegas is discontinuing the swivel ends. You will now have to buy the thumb screw if you need a new swivel end. Richard said that Pegas thought that people were not getting the swivel  ends in the thumb screw  correctly and damaging the small O-ring therefore it would not work correctly and cause hockey sticks on the blades or other problems. Swivel end $2.95 new thumb screw $6.95.   I have used the Seyco swivel ends in the Pegas thumb screw and they fit just fine for me.  QTE I love ordering from them. Richard likes to visit and no sales pressure. Quick service.

19 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

Thanks.

Bill, I am not sure what the stock clamps are made of I suspect some cast aluminum alloy. I never liked the so I never even considered any saw with that style of clamp. Being on multiple forums two of  the most frequent complaints I have seen about the stock clamps is 1. the threads get stripped out and 2. the jaws spread and you get chronic blade slippage. The Pegas clamps are machined out of a high quality piece of aluminum.  I have only had an EX style saw for a few weeks that I bought used with the Pegas clamps already installed. It takes a minimal effort and tension to clamp the blade and even being a bit heavy handed I don't foresee me stripping the threads and certainly not being able to spread the jaws. I would love to be able to have the old and the new side by side and do actual measurements.

I wonder what issues the folks that were unhappy with Pegas clamps had.

18 minutes ago, Rolf said:

Bill, I am not sure what the stock clamps are made of I suspect some cast aluminum alloy. I never liked the so I never even considered any saw with that style of clamp. Being on multiple forums two of  the most frequent complaints I have seen about the stock clamps is 1. the threads get stripped out and 2. the jaws spread and you get chronic blade slippage. The Pegas clamps are machined out of a high quality piece of aluminum.  I have only had an EX style saw for a few weeks that I bought used with the Pegas clamps already installed. It takes a minimal effort and tension to clamp the blade and even being a bit heavy handed I don't foresee me stripping the threads and certainly not being able to spread the jaws. I would love to be able to have the old and the new side by side and do actual measurements.

I wonder what issues the folks that were unhappy with Pegas clamps had.

I've read from many places and many different people that they are getting blade slippage.. This may or may not be the set screw or thumb screw rather than the actual clamp.. 

Certainly the material has to be better than the clamp bodies on the Dewalt.  They were what we used to call "pot metal", some sort of cast aluminum.  They did strip and spread far too easily.  I'll concede that the Pegas are a huge upgrade over the stock Dewalt clamps.  Looking at my EX, however, they appear to be solid aluminum., although I admit that I'm not certain of that.  They definitely don't look look like the cast ones on my old Dewalt.  I haven't had the thumbscrew strip out yet, but I can't say that it won't happen.  I've had this saw 4 years or so and use it as much as I used my old Dewalt.  I replaced the clamp bodies at least twice, maybe 3 times in the 10-12 years I had it.  I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm still not convinced that the Pegas clamps are a significant upgrade over the stock EX clamps.  I'm willing to be convinced, but just not there yet.  If/when I do strip out my EX clamps, I'll probably use that as an excuse to switch to the Pegas. 

When I first bought my DeWalt.. I read about the poorly made clamps and was told I should have a set of extras on hand.. so i did just that.. Bought a pair of replacements for the day they stripped out... unfortunately I'm not heavy handed on the thumb screws.. I owned that saw and ran it hard.. rebuilt it once and it needed new bearings again when i sold it.. in fact I sold it with all new bearings and sleeves for the new owner.. I never did need those replacement clamps.. in fact 12 years of production cutting.. I never even needed new thumb screws or set screws.. I took them out once in a while and rough up the ends.. a small drop of oil on the threads ( only the threads ) can go a long way on these clamps and screws.. the screw threads get dirty too.. making sure they work nice and smooth will go a long way with them.. sometimes you don't have to be heavy handed to strip out threads.. if they get dirty threads.. that dirt and grit sand them down for you.. Maybe its my mechanical background that helps me understand how to "take care" of equipment and how much stress certain things can take.. Not sure.. but I've never ever worn out a set of blade chucks or thumb screws.. As I said.. a little maintenance can go a long way.... Just my two cents..  

5 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

Certainly the material has to be better than the clamp bodies on the Dewalt.  They were what we used to call "pot metal", some sort of cast aluminum.  They did strip and spread far too easily.  I'll concede that the Pegas are a huge upgrade over the stock Dewalt clamps.  Looking at my EX, however, they appear to be solid aluminum., although I admit that I'm not certain of that.  They definitely don't look look like the cast ones on my old Dewalt.  I haven't had the thumbscrew strip out yet, but I can't say that it won't happen.  I've had this saw 4 years or so and use it as much as I used my old Dewalt.  I replaced the clamp bodies at least twice, maybe 3 times in the 10-12 years I had it.  I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm still not convinced that the Pegas clamps are a significant upgrade over the stock EX clamps.  I'm willing to be convinced, but just not there yet.  If/when I do strip out my EX clamps, I'll probably use that as an excuse to switch to the Pegas. 

Bill, everybody that truly knows me knows that I'm a tightwad. I don't part with money easily unless I'm convinced that it's worthwhile. I bought my EX used. Barely used. But, the nylon screw that determines something, I forget what, on the stock clamps was worn out. I did manage to replace it but I was never really happy with the whole mechanism. When the Pegas clamps came out and I watched the review by Steve Good, I decided that I would like to have a set but that hundred dollar price tag stood in the way. After Iggy bought a set for his Dewalt, if I recall correctly, he posted that he had purchased them from QTE because they had the best price. So, I decided to bite the bullet and I ordered a set from them. As soon as I got them and installed them, I knew I had made the right decision. What a difference in how they operated and felt. They are so much smaller and just have a true feel of quality. Even the lever action is smoother. I've had zero problems with blade slippage. I posted something recently about blade stretch and that turned out to be my error. I started cleaning my blades and rubbing them on some fine sand paper and that solved that problem. Anyway, bottom line here, once you get yours, you'll know that you made the right decision. If you never do buy them, well, I'll sell you my old EX clamps for a very reasonable price.

I appreciate the feedback and perspective, Ray.  I know I'm swimming upstream on this one, given the nearly universally positive reviews these clamps have gotten.  Like I said, I have little reason to replace perfectly good clamps, at the moment.  But if/when I need to, I'll certainly give the Pegas replacements serious consideration.

5 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

I appreciate the feedback and perspective, Ray.  I know I'm swimming upstream on this one, given the nearly universally positive reviews these clamps have gotten.  Like I said, I have little reason to replace perfectly good clamps, at the moment.  But if/when I need to, I'll certainly give the Pegas replacements serious consideration.

Bill, if you have anybody near you that has the clamps,maybe they'd go along with letting your either borrow them for a trial or let you use their saw. There was no reason for me to replace my "perfectly good clamps" either but if everybody felt that way, we might all still be driving model T Fords. They did the job well too but there was always a better car coming along. The size difference alone is worth the change over. Much lighter too.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:28 AM, kmmcrafts said:

I've read from many places and many different people that they are getting blade slippage.. This may or may not be the set screw or thumb screw rather than the actual clamp.. 

I've had them on my dewalt for a year and started to have minimal slippage last month. I lightly sanded the screws and lubed the oring. No more problems. I was having to sand the factory ones every 2 months

I have the pre-2010 EX21 which has the tension lever toward the front, located on the right side. Will the Pegas Blade Clamp work on this older model? The original blade clamps have a little side to side play. Noticed only a little loss in control while cutting so not a big concern yet. Some fine fretwork being planned in the near future so I want to be prepared to replace when the time comes.

So, I have the option of replacing, if necessary, with OEM from Ray Seymore or installing the Pegas blade clamp. I have heard and read so many positives about the Pegas that I am leaning toward trying them out.

Edited by Paul S WI
added information and deleted picture of EX21

On 11/23/2019 at 3:04 PM, Paul S WI said:

I have the pre-2010 EX21 which has the tension lever toward the front, located on the right side. Will the Pegas Blade Clamp work on this older model? The original blade clamps have a little side to side play. Noticed only a little loss in control while cutting so not a big concern yet. Some fine fretwork being planned in the near future so I want to be prepared to replace when the time comes.

So, I have the option of replacing, if necessary, with OEM from Ray Seymore or installing the Pegas blade clamp. I have heard and read so many positives about the Pegas that I am leaning toward trying them out.

Any chance of posting a pic? I have a 2010 EX but I have not seen one with the tension lever anywhere but centered. I'm curious to see what you mean.