NEWBIE, loving life, making sawdust

Dave Wittich

Hey y'all!  Dave here, newbie on Scrollsaw Village.  I found this community 100% due to Dale's (Oldmansbike) bragging rights entry of his Lord's Prayer - FABULOUS work, to be sure.  It sure got MY attention!

Anyway, just a bit of an intro - been scrolling for about 30 years with my trusty dusty Dremel model-1601 scrollsaw, which has served me quite well. 

Being a military brat (dad was a Marine), I did my own 22+ years in the USAF and then hopped a couple different lines of work until I finally decided to retire completely.  So, now I'm able to actually enjoy life a bit more with my other half, our horses, my model planes (her garden, when I can't get out of it) and scrolling.

Anyway, while I'm announcing myself, I'm also going to brag a bit - here's the latest to come out of my little hole-in-the-wall shop in the basement just this past weekend.  It's an older design, but I've enjoyed doing it immensely.

IMG_20200316_164451_hdr.jpg

IMG_20200316_165143_burst_01.jpg

On 3/20/2020 at 10:07 PM, spirithorse said:

Welcome to the village, Dave,
How old is the pattern you used for your Lord's Prayer, please?
Is that pattern no longer available?

Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Pattern is definitely still available, as is one I'm just starting right now, the OLD larger Lords Prayer.  Here's the link to the small Lord's Prayer that I just finished.

https://cherrytreetoys.com/small-lords-prayer-plan/

One "heads-up", if I might - I've never seen this one actually assembled as a whole with the frame and center 3 panels all connected.  BUT, I think that's how it was originally intended to be.  If one were to do that, WATCH OUT for the width of the 3 center panels (inside the frame) - bottom one is wide, middle is about right, top is narrow.  On the plan sheet, they're all the same - I think the wood actually shrinks as it's cut.  I've done 4 of these (two sets of paired cuts) and they all came out that way.  If I were to cut one with the intention of assembling them together, I'd leave the ends long until I was ready to actually mount them.  I'd mount the frame, measure the gap and then cut the panels to fit into the frame.

Just a thought.

BTW, I'm ordering a new one (probably 2) myself.  Screwed up, used my master (sheesh!).

Edited by Dave Wittich
Added the "heads-up"

On 3/20/2020 at 10:29 PM, Scrappile said:

Dave, welcome to the Village.  Beautiful work you have done, looks like we can learn a lot from you.  I love the clocks... Got on in the hopper to start soon.  Glad to have you with us.

Thanks, and Semper Fi.

Clocks are FUN!!!  Got a few more sitting around the house too.

clock3-fireengine2.jpg

clock5-gold-wall.jpg

clock6-sherwood.jpg

Welcome to the village. Nice work! I have learned scrolling is stress relief after I retired from the USAF as well. You might have a hole in the wall basement, but I am sure it beats my hole in the wall garage that while scrolling, I am sitting between two vehicles. Again, welcome.

12 hours ago, Fedido said:

Welcome to the village. Nice work! I have learned scrolling is stress relief after I retired from the USAF as well. You might have a hole in the wall basement, but I am sure it beats my hole in the wall garage that while scrolling, I am sitting between two vehicles. Again, welcome.

Thanks, brother Fedido!  Your situation is exactly my situation - stress relief during/after the USAF, AND I'm kinda imitating those incredible signs I saw on every shop throughout Europe.  Those people have a flair for making a simple business sign into a work of art - I'm kinda trying to imitate that kind of workmanship.

Y'wanna see a tiny shop?  Yeah - I can imagine your situation quite well.  Got a couple pics here, first is one side of the shop while I was restoring our 60-yr old Legion Post sign, second is my scrollsaw corner, which was immediately behind me when I took the first pic.  The whole shop is 14' long, 8' wide.  My "standing" room is about 4' wide, 12' long.

IMG_20200126_141731.jpg

Dremel Scrollsaw.jpg

8 hours ago, Dave Wittich said:

Those people have a flair for making a simple business sign into a work of art - I'm kinda trying to imitate that kind of workmanship.

Not sure if you want to make any sort of 'business sign' but you can make some great ones with a router.  As you can gather I love my scrollsaw but find the router brilliant for signs.