New member from GA mountains

Scoutmaster Tom

Hi all, new to the group.  Been using an RBI Hawk for about a dozen years or so.  Love it and it has worked great.  The other day it started "missing" when I changed speed with the knob.  I know it's electric powered, but it will stutter and "miss" for several seconds when changing speeds like a car with bad fuel.  Has anyone had this problem?  I'd like to fix it, but want to avoid just throwing (expensive) parts at it.

Thanks

1 hour ago, amazingkevin said:

Sounds like a rheostat problem to me ,but what do I know.That's the speed switch.

I am not familiar with the RBI Hawk but after 15 years there may be some sawdust in the rheostat. That may make it work intermittent. If you can get to it, blowing it out with compressed air or one of those air cans used to clean computer keyboards. Found an interesting youtube video that explains rheostats/potentiometers and possible fixes but if you can't get to the "innards", it may be time for a replacement.

3 hours ago, munzieb said:

I am not familiar with the RBI Hawk but after 15 years there may be some sawdust in the rheostat. That may make it work intermittent. If you can get to it, blowing it out with compressed air or one of those air cans used to clean computer keyboards. Found an interesting youtube video that explains rheostats/potentiometers and possible fixes but if you can't get to the "innards", it may be time for a replacement.

Good find!!!

Glad you are hear and it is looking like you are getting info on you problem..  I would suggest that you not use your email address as a username, it that is your email address.  You could be increasing your chances of getting lot of spam and maybe computer viruses.  If it is yours I would get a hold of @Travis (Travis) the head honcho here and ask him to change.  Message him... maybe