Newbie on a Saw Search

WoodWiser

I have bought nothing but used saws, all from Craigslist. I watch everyday even though I'm no longer needing a saw. I have purchased and resold 3 saws and now have 2 of the Green Excaliburs and money in my pocket to boot. I strongly recommend doing the same if the market near you is anywhere as good as it is here where I live.

I was like you with the same price range. I thought about a shop fox. It didn't tickle my fancy. I ended up finding a Dewalt 788 type 1 that with shipping pushed 500 with a stand, and a light. might have been a little too much for a 20 year old saw, but I have absolutely loved it. I have since tore it down and replaced all bad bushing, which was one. I would say a Dewalt or delta as they are about the same. It is up to you though as it is your money. If I had to do this all over again, I would still take the Dewalt 788 Type 1 as it is North American built. Type 2's are made in either China or Taiwan (Senior moment I am experiencing) and from what I have leaned, it is a roll of the dice with them.  Good luck. 

Edited by Fedido

On 8/10/2020 at 9:17 AM, Fedido said:

I was like you with the same price range. I thought about a shop fox. It didn't tickle my fancy. I ended up finding a Dewalt 788 type 1 that with shipping pushed 500 with a stand, and a light. might have been a little too much for a 20 year old saw, but I have absolutely loved it. I have since tore it down and replaced all bad bushing, which was one. I would say a Dewalt or delta as they are about the same. It is up to you though as it is your money. If I had to do this all over again, I would still take the Dewalt 788 Type 1 as it is North American built. Type 2's are made in either China or Taiwan (Senior moment I am experiencing) and from what I have leaned, it is a roll of the dice with them.  Good luck. 

wish i had your keen sense of finding bad bearings and bushings. It's a lot of work to change them all but once it's done it;s done. good job!!!

17 hours ago, amazingkevin said:

wish i had your keen sense of finding bad bearings and bushings. It's a lot of work to change them all but once it's done it;s done. good job!!!

@amazingkevin, thank you, but I did that my previous life as an aircraft mechanic, find bad bearings and have them replaced. just glad I don't need nitrogen on a scroll saw. 

I had 2 type Dewalts and then I bought a Delta which is 100 difference in cost. I liked it better than the Dewalts and went longer with out repairs (2 T years but it was under warentee and I took it to the shop ( 60 miles aweea from home). it has been in the shop for 2 months so I claled the shop and they are still waiting on parts, so I went out and bought an Excell 21. it is slower cuttinjg but is best for Fretwork. I think both the Delta and Dewalt are over priced @ $500 and $400 If  ydou can find a good higher end Saw buy it.IKE