Newbie from Texas

TAIrving

I am a newcomer to scroll sawing.  I bought a Porter-Cable from a neighbor earlier this year and got hooked on the hobby.  I am working at reading everything posted on the Scroll Saw Village and the Scroll Saw Workshop, perhaps a hopeless task but that doesn't stop me from trying.  

The projects I have tried so far have shown me the limitations of the Porter-Cable saw and I have ordered a Pegas scroll saw.  I intend to train myself to become a top feeder and to work increasingly difficult projects. 

Thanks to all of you for your tutorials, patterns made available on the web sites, advice, commentary, pictures of your projects and all other contributions which make this an interesting and rewarding hobby.  

My site name "Algae" is a take off on my middle name "Algernon".  But nobody, not even my mother, calls me that.  

Edited by Algae
adding more to my introduction.

10 minutes ago, amazingkevin said:

Welcome and lucky for you!! You found the best scroll saw club !! So you want to read do you? In any forum you can go back to the beginning of ssv or any time between by going to the bottom of each page and click on the page you want. The>> mark takes you to day one and the<<brings you back. So many tips and tricks hidden in there!!! Hope you become a regular!!! Welcome again!!!

Welcome for the East coast of Central Florida.   SVV is a great place and a bunch of great people with a welth of information and willing to share.

I went from a PC to the 21" Pegas also, great saw.  I tried top feeding....does not work for me.  Too easy to kink the blades and I find it very hard to find the groove in the lower clamp when tightening to grip the blade.    So I still bottome feed but the ability to lift the arm out of the way makes it a lot easier than on the PC.  

If you want to do more challenging fretwork patterns, learn to use spiral blades as well as the standard blades.   Spiral blades take a lot of practice but the amount of detail you can accomplish is amazing.

Don't forget to post pics of your finished projects.  We all enjoy seeing what others do.