Custom Ornament Kit - 2020 Edition Now Available!

Travis

Hi All.  Last year, I created this custom ornament kit.  It basically is a template that you can create personalized Christmas ornaments.  Everybody seemed to really like it, so I created another version with all new designs for 2020!  

I like to think of it as a mini scroll saw business-in-a-box.  With this kit, you can create as many custom ornament patterns as you want.  You can easily personalize them with someone's name or date.  You can sell your custom ornaments to friends and family, online places like Etsy, or for craft fairs and church bizarres.  You can also sell custom patterns to your fellow scrollers!

Here's an overview on how the kit works:

I'm releasing it earlier this year because I had a few folks who wanted to get a jump on the holidays (I don't blame you!).  I'm also putting the Personalized Holiday Ornament Kit 2020 on sale for 50% off through Cyber Monday!  So right now, you can pick it up for only $10, which is a screamin' deal!  :santa:  It's my way of saying Thank You for being a part of SSV and making it such a great place to be.

I hope you find it useful.  Happy Holidays, y'all!

2020 Edition

2019 Edition (in case you're looking for last year's)

Note:  This ornament kit is meant for folks who have a working knowledge of Inkscape.  You don't have to be an advanced user, but you should have the basics down.  If you'd like to learn more about Inkscape, you can find my free online course here.

Hi All.  If you're having trouble with the Ornament Kit, you can post here for support, PM me, or email me at travis [at] scrollsawvillage.com.

I think the #1 common issue that I'm seeing is that you need Inkscape installed on your computer in order to open and edit the ornaments.  You can download Inkscape for free at Inkscape.org.

Also note, that you need to have a working knowledge of Inkscape.  You don't have to be a pro, but you should have the basics down.  I tried to be clear about it in my description, but I think it's worth repeating.

Let me know if I can assist.  :)

I have bought both of your programs and watched your videos. I have downloaded inkscape. When I tap on the svg file nothing happens. do I need to open Inkscape and then open the file? I got them to work. Had to redownload Inkscape. However, the "Union" step does not work. What am I doing wrong?

Check at the bottom of the page and make sure you didn't accidently group them.

image.png

If they're grouped, you can ungroup them with Ctrl+Shift+G.

To union them, marque select all of the parts of the ornaments, then Path>Union.

Let me know if you run into any other issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 8:59 PM, jhwj said:

I have bought both of your programs and watched your videos. I have downloaded inkscape. When I tap on the svg file nothing happens. do I need to open Inkscape and then open the file?

Hi , thought i'd give you this bit of advice  (incase you didn't know this) 

When you download files from a site and its not in your trusted list then the file is blocked from executing anything by the virus software,

I'll assume your using windows:

Find the file whichever folder (usually 'downloads') it is in then: ! select it using a right mouse button click

2  scroll down to properties

3   left click on properties, then left click on the box that says 'unblock'

4 then left click on 'apply'

5 then left click on 'ok'   Now your file is ready to be opened by left clicking on it as usual.

Please note any programs you downloaded to install also need to be 'unblocked'  because they can go through the motions of installing but not be installed past setting up empty folders to make room for the estimated size of the software your trying to install.

Best of luck.

Hi All.  Today is Cyber Monday!  You know what that means?  Today is the last day to get this Personalized Holiday Ornament kit at 50% off.  If you still want this ornament kit, this is a killer price.  :)

Tomorrow, I'll remove the banners on the sidebar and unpin this topic.  The ornament kit will still be available in the eBooks section, but just at the normal price of $20.

Happy Holiday, y'all!  :santa:

• Travis unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All.  I got an email from a member that was having trouble with Unioning text with the latest version of Inkscape.  It turns out to be a bug in Inkscape that will be addressed in the next version.  But until then, here is a tutorial on a workaround.  I hope this helps!  

Step by Step:

1. Change your text.
  2. Select your text.
  3. Path/Object To Path (or Ctrl+Shift+C)
  4. Object/Ungroup (or Ctrl+Shift+G)
  5. Select entire ornament
  6. Path/Union (or Ctrl+plus key)

• 9 months later...