Looking for parts for a 1993 220v serial# 21377 Hawk vs scroll saw.

Danchip70

Looking to see if anyone knows of a resource to acquire parts for a 1993 Hawk 220vs,115 volt ac motor. Bushton Manufacturer does not make and carries very few parts for this model. Newer models have a DC motor. I purchased this RBI Hawk off Craig's list. Variable speed control board is no longer manufactured. I may have purchased a nearly new looking RBI Hawk paper weight.

Dan

2 hours ago, Danchip70 said:

Looking to see if anyone knows of a resource to acquire parts for a 1993 Hawk 220vs,115 volt ac motor. Bushton Manufacturer does not make and carries very few parts for this model. Newer models have a DC motor. I purchased this RBI Hawk off Craig's list. Variable speed control board is no longer manufactured. I may have purchased a nearly new looking RBI Hawk paper weight.

Dan

Is there a motor repair shop in your area? Maybe you can ask them.

Welcome to the village!!

So you talk to Bushton Manufacturing or just look on the website? They don't have it on their site but they do or maybe I should say did make a motor and controller upgrade kit for these old saws with the problematic AC motor. The upgrade kit isn't cheap at like $350 but it is a brand new motor and control box modified with the new style bearing block on the motor etc.. and is a direct bolt up kit. The reason there isn't much parts offered for these old saws is because not much goes bad on them, LOL Basically the tension cam and rear wedge shaped thing at the back of the saw is the main wear parts.. most people upgrade the tension cam to the new style.. 

IF the motor still runs but you cannot change the speed.. you may be able to find a work around for that such as a old sewing machine controller or ? I've also seen where people just wire the motor direct and bypass the controller, then it's a single speed but is usable at full speed for some folks anyway. Full speed on my saw 1993 220VS is 1500 strokes per minute.. I run mine on full speed for cutting wood etc.. probably not doable if you going to cut plastic or metal materials. 

Anyway, hopefully you can get in contact with Bushton and get the upgrade kit still.. Hopefully you didn't give a lot of money for the saw because there are some decent deals out there on newer saws for the $350 you need for the newer motor kit. They are great saws and built to last.. I'm not sure but.. I don't know of any other brand other than maybe Hegner that even offers parts for a near 30 year old saw.. Heck many 10 year old saws can't even get parts for, LOL

dan,

does the motor do anything at all? i  think it might be able to be fixed as long as the motor is not burned up.  i would check the variable speed control box for a fuse. do you have and or know how to use a electrical test meter to do some basic testing? i know from another forum i used to go on MET out of mankato minnesota made a lot of rbi controls for them. dont know if they made them for the a/c motor though. another option is the variable speed controller might be able to be repaired. if the person you got it from did not do a good job with dust collection it might just be saw dust on the contacts of the main switch. it is not always an expensive fix.let us know what you find out.

doug

It would be helpful if the OP would give us more info and answer the questions asked so far. Too many people duck in long enough to post a question and then disappear. I, for one, would like to know the outcomes of these dilemmas. Once again, we have no idea where this person is located. That info is useful.