Wen 16" Variable speed scroll saw.

Jim Finn

I'm not sure about the 16" saw they have.. seems I recall them needing blade chuck adapters or something? so they would take pinless blades? or maybe it was for toolless blade changes? I may be wrong and thinking of something different. I have heard / read that the bigger saw that is more designed like the DeWalt is a decent saw.. 

Had one for about two days, didn't like it.  Light weight vibrated too much and hard to install blades.

I have a few Wen tools but all have been swapped a few times to finally get one that actually went through quality control.

Glad I purchased the Dewalt and now I feel there's hope if learning something.  I buy the bargain tools and almost always regret it.

Went through 3 brands of table saws and ended up with Dewalt.

Buy the best tool you can afford...

It depend on the model. I have the 3922 which has served me pretty well for 2-years until I retired it in July after getting my Pegas. The 3921 and 3923 have blade lamps that are a pain in the rear. If that is the model you are looking at, I would suggest staying away from it.

I had a few issues with the 3922 but nothing that I didn't overcome. The bellows lasted about 2-months before I had to replace it. After it wore out a second time I replaced it with a fish tank blower. The blade clamp knob broke after about a month also and I just started using a nut driver to tighten the clamp. The clamps will wear out but WEN sells them for about $5 each and they are pretty good about shipping. I would buy them a half dozen at a time. My saw had considerable vibration when I first mounted it to a stand I built. The top of the stand was a little weak so I removed the saw, beefed up the top with some 2X material which made a drastic improvement in reducing the vibration. It would "almost" pass the nickle test. I will add WEN provides a 2-year warranty on their products when purchased new and from what I've seen, you can get a better deal, in most cases, when you purchase directly from their website. I used the warranty to replace the first bellows and didn't have any issue with the warranty claim. I purchased the saw new at $107 2-years ago. It is currently listed on their website at $114. Your purchase would depend if the warranty is worth the extra $50.