Delta 20" {40-640} Issue

Hey all,

Have the above scroll saw. I know its not the best and I don't use it a ton but it had come in handy. So here is my issue. There is an accordion style boot that I guess is for cushioning the arm movement. Mine is dry rotted out. Can't locate a replacement part. Its pretty loud knocking when running. I'm pretty sure I'm SOL but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any advice short of tossing in the trash. Really didn't want to buy new for the amount of use but was browsing the Dewalt 20" in case I want to bight the bullet. Thanks and have a great day

James

Hi, Welcome to the village!!

I would take the Bellows out and see if it still makes the noise.. I have a suspicion that isn't where the noise is coming from. Likely the rattle is the grommet part number 21 that if bad is common to make a rattle sound. Doesn't have to be there but if the rattle bothers you enough it's just a very small solid rubber maybe around 1/4 diameter and around 1/8 thick. Probably could use one of the small rubber or foam feet made for like drink coasters or furniture slider things since the part is no longer available. 

As for the bellows, you could use a CV axle boot and cut it down probably. You'd need a small one for like a small ATV quad or similar might be around the right size. I'm sure if you shop around you'd find something that'd work well. As Ray said, aquarium pumps work too.  

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-40640-type-2034-scroll-saw-parts-c-3275_3505_14012.html

Edited by kmmcrafts

Okay so you need the cushion boots.. should be 3 of them and the one that is rattling is probably the front lower one? Stole this picture from a ebay listing. You might search eBay for your Delta Model 40-640. there is this person here that is selling parts from one.. you might try messaging him to see if he has these parts. I circled them in the red circles. Probably could make something too. 

Delta.png

I've pretty much scanned over the parts drawings with the numbers and so on. The only thing that I found that resembles a "bellows" is the air blower. I tried to find the number you listed but it's not in the parts list either available or discontinued. Your initial description was "a bellows type thing" so that's what I was going by. Kevin knows a lot about these old saws so I'll have to bow to his knowledge but I still think you're talking about the air blower bellows and when they get dry and hard, they will make a heck of a noise.

44 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

I've pretty much scanned over the parts drawings with the numbers and so on. The only thing that I found that resembles a "bellows" is the air blower. I tried to find the number you listed but it's not in the parts list either available or discontinued. Your initial description was "a bellows type thing" so that's what I was going by. Kevin knows a lot about these old saws so I'll have to bow to his knowledge but I still think you're talking about the air blower bellows and when they get dry and hard, they will make a heck of a noise.

For some reason the parts list are different in the link I posted above than the list that is in the parts manual. There was a type 1 and type 2 saw so that might be what's going on. I looked up a couple different parts manuals and one showed a part number 29 that he as talking about. The part is used in both the types but listed under a different reference number, 

The link I posted above shows the part as number 52 and another manual shows it as #21 and another as #29.. gotta love the part changes they did in the manuals back in the day.. and now days you get one manual for all saws of the same brand lumped into one manual and some of it is wrong, LOL

Anyway it's just a square shaped rubber that fits / seals somewhat into the C channel and the arm protrudes through it. I believe it's purpose is to help keep dust from getting into the bearings. It probably wouldn't make any noise if he removed the rubber.. but I don't know that for sure.. it may also be a "cushion"  for the arm as well.. If you look closely at the photo I posted I circled the rubber inserts that he is talking about.  I think it's more of a dust shield than a cushion though and he could try removing them to see if it quits rattling.   

Edited by kmmcrafts

15 hours ago, buffalojim said:

Thanks kmmcrafts.

That's a good idea. Messaged a couple but no luck. Could not find the pic you referenced above but appreciate the effort

This is the listing where I got the photo from. They seem to be parting out this saw and has a few other parts for it listed but not the pieces you need. You might try sending them a message and ask about the rubber pieces you need. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275569355730?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20211130125621%26meid%3D4daa0a688ba542a782410c8a177bb5fb%26pid%3D101465%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D293835338534%26itm%3D275569355730%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D3650466%26brand%3DDelta&_trksid=p3650466.c101465.m3507