Anyone ever cut Tagua nuts?

Stretch

I started scrolling 3 years ago ( I do other woodwork as well) I am so amazed at how useful and versatile this tool is!

This week I found a new use for it, it's excellent for cutting foamboard cleanly! I have cut Acrylic and all manner of wood products.

I wonder has anyone cut Tagua nuts? I was thinking I might be able to do some very intricate jewelry if I cut the nut into slices and scroll it.

Seams like I remember people turning them on their wood lathes.  I do not remember what for.  Never heard of cutting them on a scroll saw, so do it and report back!  I know some do carvings with them. I think your are correct about jewelry, Not big enough to do much else with.. I hope you try it and report back!

I have turned tagua nuts on my lathe, but never carved them.  They are about the size of a large walnut, with a thin brown skin over a white "meat" interior.  This meat is hard and looks like ivory, hence the name "vegetable ivory".  The interior is what is used.  Most have an interior cavity, of no particular shape, which will affect the final result.  They are about the hardness of rock maple and turn fairly easily.  I think they would saw fairly easily but could only be used for small cuttings up to 1 1/2" in diameter.  The ones I turned were for knobs on the lids of some bowls and boxes I made on my lathe.  The void in the middle would make them hit or miss for most uses I could think of.  YMMV

Tom