Thinking about getting a lathe - Help wanted

Hello everybody,

I am thinking in buying a wood lathe, something can be use for wood turning, bowls, vases, toys wheels, etc. i like this one available in Amazon since it fits up to 12" bowls.

NOVA 46300 COMET IIVARIABLE SPEED MINI LATHE 2013 EDITION, 12" X 16 1/2" (EXTENSIBLE)

if some of you can couch me on this would be great since i am cero experience with lathes. if you find something better would be great.

thanks in advance.

Hi Luis I used to have a lathe, I spend a lot of time on it, Nova is a good name brand and kind of middle of the road as for cost, I found where all the money goes is not on the lathe but on Chucks face-plates gouges parting tools the list goes on and on your finishing products like sanding discs sand paper up to 600 grit like I said the list goes on and on, the next problem for me anyway was getting good turning wood but then I didn't live in a hardwood area so it was expensive to buy, and last but least the mess it is extremely messy. That's the bad news  the good news is once you get in to it you'll fall in love with it. It seems like once you turn on the lathe the motor is your music and its you and your lathe and the dance begins when you get into it you'll understand ,what I mean is, the act of wood turning is like a dance your whole body moves with your chisel believe me you'll lose sense of time and everything I have talked to a lot of turners and have found the same myself its almost Therapeutic, If I would come home from a stressful job at the end of the day 1 hour of turning would relax me totally. Anyway a great hobby enjoy. If you need to know anything else drop me a note glad to help

.../Hans 

I have this one:  JET JML 1014VSI 10-Inch-by-14-Inch Variable Speed Indexing Mini Lathe.  It looks like this has been discontinued and a newer model is out:  Jet JWL-1015VS 10-Inch X 15-Inch Variable Speed Wood Working Lathe.  At any rate, I'm really happy with it.  I also bought the Barracuda 2 Chuck with it and really like it.  It only has a 10" swing, but I only do small projects anyway.

I have a Grizzly G0733 and do a lot of turning. I have had for about 2 years now and no problems.

1) My best advice would be to a 1 BIGGER than you think you'll need.

2) Do not go cheap on the lathe it self.

3) To start get PSI tools ( I know I said don't go cheap ). There is a learning curve on shapening you tools. If you mess up a cheap bowl gouge it dosn't hurt as bad as messing up a $100.00 gouge.

4) Get a CBN gringing wheel. They are spendy ( about $200.00). They last a LOT longer than stone wheels, do a better job and a lot safer!

5) Do not get a cheap chuck. I have a Hurricane and love it! About 1/2 the price of the big name brands and have a better warrenity.

I hope this helps!!

Bill

Luis always get good chucks like the one travis mentions there worth the money mine I can change the grips from very small diameter to very large I will probably get another because I'm feed up with changing them, I will then only have to swap the chuck then.

http://www.scosarg.com/nova-g3-chuck-1-x-8tpi-thread-with-25mm-5.html?gclid=CLr6gYqZnr4CFdShtAodiwwASA

Roly

Luis always get good chucks like the one travis mentions there worth the money mine I can change the grips from very small diameter to very large I will probably get another because I'm feed up with changing them, I will then only have to swap the chuck then.

http://www.scosarg.com/nova-g3-chuck-1-x-8tpi-thread-with-25mm-5.html?gclid=CLr6gYqZnr4CFdShtAodiwwASA

Roly

Roly, I couldn't find same part number in Amazon, could you let me know if this is the same one? Please search for this in Amazon

: NOVA G3 WOODLATHE CHUCK WITH 2" JAWS, WOODWORM SCREW, & 1" X 8TPI INSERT

Could this be used to turn a pen?

Roly, I couldn't find same part number in Amazon, could you let me know if this is the same one? Please search for this in Amazon

: NOVA G3 WOODLATHE CHUCK WITH 2" JAWS, WOODWORM SCREW, & 1" X 8TPI INSERT

Could this be used to turn a pen?

No Luis mine is a four jaw chuck and you will have to buy a mandrel similar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pen-mandrel for pen turning or if you just turn solid wood pens with a bic re-fill then use the chuck to hold wood drill the hole then turn the wood.

No Luis mine is a four jaw chuck and you will have to buy a mandrel similar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pen-mandrel for pen turning or if you just turn solid wood pens with a bic re-fill then use the chuck to hold wood drill the hole then turn the wood.

cool Roly, thanks for all your support.