Advice please - worx blade runner 650 vs rockwell

Todd Sales

Hi everyone,

I'm super keen to get into scrolling, and am hoping to pick up a machine next week. It will have to be low end. The largest hardware chain to me sell two. They sell a worx 650 blade runner. They also sell a Rockwell 405mm.

The worx looks stronger but I'm worried that the blades that fit it are not fine enough for really fine work? The Rockwell has smaller blades, slightly cheaper, but I've read some bad reviews about the blade clamps that come with it.

I'm so ignorant to this stuff. Can some please advise if the worx can do super fine work? Of the two, does anyone have first hand experience to make recommendation please?

Thanks so much,

Todd

Hi Todd welcome to the village first of all The Torx is a nice machine but not for the scrolling we do it is fine to cut crooked lines in 2 and 3" material but not for material 3-5MM thickness and radius cuts of even less, second the rockwell 405 is a good machine from what I have read so far but I'm not sure if it comes with a pinless blade attachment, if not your going to be forced to use pin type blades which in our case again useless. Unless off course you have no intentions on making internal cuts. then the pin type are fine. I just not certain of what is available to you as far as machines go as we live in opposite necks of the woods I know your on a low budget so here are some names of north american scroll saw companies that you may be able to find where you live, now these are low end machines but will serve you well for a long time and they do have blade attachments available.

Delta, Black and Decker, Bosch, Makita, Sears, Dremmel there that should get you started so a 14-16" should do fine for starters and make sure you get pinless.

Goodluck Todd

.../Hans

Thank you gentlemen. I'm glad i checked.  

Given the 'tyranny of distance' of where I live, I suspect I'll need to go online to make a purchase - i'll start researching the brands you provided Bendita - and I'll make sure it's a pinless blade.  Thanks again - I'll update this post with what i end up with!

Kind regards

Todd

• 8 years later...
On 9/24/2014 at 8:51 AM, Todd Sales said:

Hi everyone,

I'm super keen to get into scrolling, and am hoping to pick up a machine next week. It will have to be low end. The largest hardware chain to me sell two. They sell a worx 650 blade runner. They also sell a Rockwell 405mm.

The worx looks stronger but I'm worried that the blades that fit it are not fine enough for really fine work? The Rockwell has smaller blades, slightly cheaper, but I've read some bad reviews about the blade clamps that come with it.

I'm so ignorant to this stuff. Can some please advise if the worx can do super fine work? Of the two, does anyone have first hand experience to make recommendation please?

Thanks so much,

Todd

I would look at a craftsman scroll saw, I have had one since I was a teenager and it is pinned. I would recommend it and have never have had any issues, it affordable and easy to use. As far as the Worx and Rockwell saws you were talking about they are decent saws but are not intended for what you want to do....hope that helps.

On 9/24/2014 at 8:51 AM, Todd Sales said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much,

Todd

This is the type of saw you want based on your description....and this is a decent saw for beginner usage..

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-variable-speed-scroll-saw-62519.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12126402660&campaignid=12126402660&utm_content=118355024553&adsetid=118355024553&product=62519&store=808&gclid=CjwKCAjwhJukBhBPEiwAniIcNazV04vBghTc1Cij927jPH8dMGRsADsuYjzPF-WfUNtA49cvitX7XxoC_oEQAvD_BwE